FYI: Santa Barbara Sneak Peek for Potential Graduate Applicants
Eligible students are invited to apply to attend Santa Barbara Sneak Peek, a special event of the Department of Linguistics at the University of California, Santa Barbara (http://www.linguistics.ucsb.edu), that is intended to identify and foster excellent potential graduate applicants from diverse backgrounds. Santa Barbara Sneak Peek will be held May 20-21, 2014, at UCSB.
The University of California recognizes the variety of personal experiences, values and worldviews that arise from differences of culture and circumstance. Such diversity in the UC student body is integral to the University’s achievement of excellence. Santa Barbara Sneak Peek is aimed at graduate students from nontraditional educational backgrounds who bring an understanding of the experiences of groups historically underrepresented in higher education. We encourage applications from individuals who meet the eligibility criteria and represent cultural, linguistic, geographic, and socioeconomic backgrounds not adequately represented in the graduate student population.
Participants in Santa Barbara Sneak Peek will:
- Learn about academic and research opportunities in linguistics at UCSB
- Meet with faculty and graduate students with shared research interests
- Hear from current linguistics graduate students about the graduate program, the university, and the community of Santa Barbara
- Receive hands-on mentoring in how to create a strong graduate school application
U.S. domestic air/ground transportation and accommodations of applicants selected for participation will be paid for by UCSB.
- Current or completed B.A. or M.A. in Linguistics or a closely related field
- Planned application to UCSB’s graduate program in Linguistics in Fall 2014 (for admission for 2015-16)
- Research focus relevant to UCSB’s discourse-functional perspective on language and faculty research interests
- Ability to contribute to the diversity of UCSB’s graduate community through research and/or life experience
- The application process is open to all eligible students. Students from ethnoracial and socioeconomic groups traditionally underrepresented in higher education are especially encouraged to apply. Applicants are encouraged to present biographical material describing relevant experiences, activities, research and service, rather than simply group identification.
Selection for Santa Barbara Sneak Peek is not a guarantee of admission to UCSB. Participants who apply to the graduate program will be evaluated according to the same criteria as all other applicants.
For further information and how to apply please visit: