Publishing Partner: Cambridge University Press CUP Extra Publisher Login
amazon logo
More Info

Ask-A-Linguist Message Details

Subject: Morphemes
Question: My question is: Is there such a thing as An English Dictionary of

I have looked in several libraries trying to find such a dictionary so
that I can continue my research.

So far, I have not come across any such compilation.

If there is no such kind of dictionary, there might be a particular
textbook partially devoted to the subject?

Thank You

Reply: I am not aware of one and it's probably because the morpheme would also include
single words such as "bee", "honey", "lemon", "swim"...

Most large dictionaries include all these as well as affixes and bound roots. They also
happen to include compounds like "blackboard" and some additional morphologically
complex words like "international".

There are handbooks that focus just on the Greco-Roman roots and affixes for
technical words.

Reply From: Elizabeth J Pyatt      click here to access email
Date: 13-Sep-2012
Other Replies:
  1. Re: Morphemes    Geoffrey Richard Sampson     (13-Sep-2012)
  2. Re: Morphemes    Madalena Cruz-Ferreira     (13-Sep-2012)
  3. Re: Morphemes    Anthea Fraser Gupta     (15-Sep-2012)
  4. Re: Morphemes    James L Fidelholtz     (17-Sep-2012)

Back to Most Recent Questions