Featured Linguist!

Jost Gippert: Our Featured Linguist!

"Buenos dias", "buenas noches" -- this was the first words in a foreign language I heard in my life, as a three-year old boy growing up in developing post-war Western Germany, where the first gastarbeiters had arrived from Spain. Fascinated by the strange sounds, I tried to get to know some more languages, the only opportunity being TV courses of English and French -- there was no foreign language education for pre-teen school children in Germany yet in those days. Read more

Donate Now | Visit the Fund Drive Homepage

Amount Raised:


Still Needed:


Can anyone overtake Syntax in the Subfield Challenge ?

Grad School Challenge Leader: University of Washington

Publishing Partner: Cambridge University Press CUP Extra Publisher Login
amazon logo
More Info

Ask-A-Linguist Message Details

Subject: Central Mexican Phonology
Question: Hello! I have a question concerning the Mexican dialect of Spanish.
I'm trying to figure out what to call a particular sound I'm
hearing. I'm not sure how to represent this, but it sounds like an
r going to a soft th or sh, like rth or rsh. It seems to only occur
at the end of words and before a pause. From what I've been able to
figure out, it seems like it might be an assibilated r, but I'm
just not sure. Does anyone know what this particular sound might
be? Thank you!

From: Julia
Date: 02-Dec-2012
  1. Re: Central Mexican Phonology    Madalena Cruz-Ferreira     (05-Dec-2012)

Back to Most Recent Questions