Publishing Partner: Cambridge University Press CUP Extra Publisher Login
amazon logo
More Info

The LINGUIST List is dedicated to providing information on language and language analysis, and to providing the discipline of linguistics with the infrastructure necessary to function in the digital world. LINGUIST is a free resource, run by linguistics students and faculty, and supported primarily by your donations. Please support LINGUIST List during the 2016 Fund Drive.

Ask-A-Linguist Message Details

Subject: An elusive word
Question: Good evening. For years I have been searching for the word which describes the following action: * two people who, upon accidentally meeting face-to-face as they walk towards each other, move left then right then left again in a comical yet unsuccessful attempt to bypass one another. Please put me out of my misery. Regards Michael
Reply: A good example of a concept for which most of us don't have a word. Time to promote 'bobbing'? While on this topic, how about a word for 'surfaces of a room' (i.e. any or all of ceiling, floor, wall)? And here are some I recommend (some of which are making international headway): From Singapore/Malaysian English: 'kiasu' (keen to get the best for self). From my native Middlesbrough: 'cotter' (a tangle in the hair) From India: 'prepone' (to bring an event forward) From Australia: 'bottom out' (to hit the bottom of the car on using an overly steep driveway) Anthea
Reply From: Anthea Fraser Gupta      click here to access email
Date: 21-Jul-2013
Other Replies:
  1. Re: An elusive word    Steven Schaufele     (24-Jul-2013)
  2. Re: An elusive word    Madalena Cruz-Ferreira     (22-Jul-2013)
  3. Re: An elusive word    M J Hardman     (18-Jul-2013)
  4. Re: An elusive word    Geoffrey Richard Sampson     (19-Jul-2013)

Back to Most Recent Questions