Publishing Partner: Cambridge University Press CUP Extra Publisher Login
amazon logo
More Info

Ask-A-Linguist Message Details

Subject: Syntagme
Question: Someone has asked about this word on this site, but I didn't understand the answer. And I can't translate the word. Nor can the Compuserv Writer's Forum, but they did find Ask A Linguist (which has caused all sorts of excitement among the writers).. Syntagme Used in this context: ''First the relative order of the two elements excludes, at least for the francophones, such an interpretation of the syntagme.'' What does syntagme mean? It seems to be a word used to describe how words are placed? Thanks for any help you can give!
Reply: Hi, Sarah, My colleagues are correct. Another translation (a more anglicized one would have been 'syntagm' -- cf. 'diaphragm/diaphragmatic', and looking up 'syntagmatic', a slightly more common word in English, perhaps, may give you more info) would be simply 'construction'. Jim James L. Fidelholtz Graduate Program in Language Sciences Instituto de Ciencias Sociales y Humanidades Benem'erita Universidad Aut'onoma de Puebla, M'EXICO
Reply From: James L Fidelholtz      click here to access email
Date: 23-Jul-2013
Other Replies:
  1. Re: Syntagme    Elizabeth J Pyatt     (22-Jul-2013)
  2. Re: Syntagme    Robert A Papen     (22-Jul-2013)

Back to Most Recent Questions