Publishing Partner: Cambridge University Press CUP Extra Publisher Login
amazon logo
More Info

Ask-A-Linguist Message Details

Subject: Irish Welsh surname
Question: Hello, I am doing some personal genealogy research so and around 1850 after my family moved to Kentucky from Virginia the Surname changed from Gallahue which I understand is Anglicized from an Irish name of Ó GALLCHÚ to Gollihugh. This spelling change seemed to happen after the death of an ancestor. And I have found some information from reliable sources that indicate that his Wife and Mother of his children was the daughter of welsh immigrants. From what I understand the words hue and Hugh although being pronounced the same, hue is derived from old English and Hugh from welsh. So I guess my question here is would you consider Gollihugh to be a welsh respelling of the name Gallahue?
Reply: Hi Gollihugh is not obviously Welsh spelling. is indeed a name used in Wales, spelled like that in the English fashion, or as . If one were to try to spell in Welsh, you'd get something like: . If one were trying to spell in Welsh, you'd get something like . I don't see anything in the spelling that would indicate clear Welsh influence. My guess would be that the bit just fit the pronunciation at the time. mike hammond
Reply From: Mike Hammond      click here to access email
Date: 04-Dec-2013
Other Replies:
  1. Re: Irish Welsh surname    Anthea Fraser Gupta     (07-Dec-2013)
  2. Re: Irish Welsh surname    Geoffrey Richard Sampson     (04-Dec-2013)
  3. Re: Irish Welsh surname    Elizabeth J Pyatt     (04-Dec-2013)

Back to Most Recent Questions