Publishing Partner: Cambridge University Press CUP Extra Publisher Login
amazon logo
More Info

Ask-A-Linguist Message Details

Subject: Morphemes
Question: My question is: Is there such a thing as An English Dictionary of

I have looked in several libraries trying to find such a dictionary so
that I can continue my research.

So far, I have not come across any such compilation.

If there is no such kind of dictionary, there might be a particular
textbook partially devoted to the subject?

Thank You

Reply: Hi, Steve,

In addition to the sources already suggested, you might try Ljung,
Magnus. 1974. A Frequency Dictionary of English Morphemes. (This
one is useful but not quite complete.) The 'standard' book on
English suffixes is: Marchand, Hans. 1969. The categories and
types of present-day English word-formation: A synchronic-
diachronic approach. Munich: Beck. (rather huge and very useful)
I'd also recommend using Wikipedia, and 'snooping' around under
various headings.

Unlike some other respondents, I'd love to get my hands on such
books (and I have).

I hope this is helpful. Feel free to contact me with further


James L. Fidelholtz
Graduate Program in Language Sciences
Instituto de Ciencias Sociales y Humanidades
Benem'erita Universidad Aut'onoma de Puebla, M'EXICO

Reply From: James L Fidelholtz      click here to access email
Date: 17-Sep-2012
Other Replies:
  1. Re: Morphemes    Geoffrey Richard Sampson     (13-Sep-2012)
  2. Re: Morphemes    Elizabeth J Pyatt     (13-Sep-2012)
  3. Re: Morphemes    Madalena Cruz-Ferreira     (13-Sep-2012)
  4. Re: Morphemes    Anthea Fraser Gupta     (15-Sep-2012)

Back to Most Recent Questions