Publishing Partner: Cambridge University Press CUP Extra Publisher Login
amazon logo
More Info

Ask-A-Linguist Message Details

Subject: Picture Writing
Question: I'm trying to track down a system of picture-writing, I think invented by a Canadian in the 20th c, and I think intended for the use of deaf- mutes, which is independent of any particular spoken language and attempts to provide a way of saying anything one might want to purely via unpronounced written symbols. Unfortunately I cannot remember the name (otherwise Google would take me straight to it). Can any panelist help, please? Geoff Sampson
Reply: Geoff, You may be thinking of Blissymoblics, a system developed by Charles Bliss and used with the deaf and other groups with language disabilities. I don't know if it's in current use, but I know it was big in the 70s and 80s. Amazon has several things on it. Best, Herb
Reply From: Herbert Frederic Stahlke      click here to access email
Date: 18-Mar-2013
Other Replies:
  1. Re: Picture Writing    Susan D Fischer     (18-Mar-2013)
  2. Re: Picture Writing    Marilyn N Silva     (18-Mar-2013)

Back to Most Recent Questions