Publishing Partner: Cambridge University Press CUP Extra Publisher Login
amazon logo
More Info

Ask-A-Linguist Message Details

Subject: An elusive word
Question: Good evening. For years I have been searching for the word which describes the following action: * two people who, upon accidentally meeting face-to-face as they walk towards each other, move left then right then left again in a comical yet unsuccessful attempt to bypass one another. Please put me out of my misery. Regards Michael
Reply: I’ve seen (literally, only in writing) the word “polkadodge” applied to what you describe. In Portuguese, for example, this is called “tango bouncing”, in free translation, so the resulting unwilling dance-like movements seem to be common to the meaning of both words. The Urban Dictionary gives a definition for polkadodge: I tried the Oxford English Dictionary, but it seems to frown at the word’s inclusion in its database – at least according to this Telegraph report from a few years back: A couple of other “non-words” listed here may be of interest to you, too! Madalena
Reply From: Madalena Cruz-Ferreira      click here to access email
Date: 22-Jul-2013
Other Replies:
  1. Re: An elusive word    Steven Schaufele     (24-Jul-2013)
  2. Re: An elusive word    Anthea Fraser Gupta     (21-Jul-2013)
  3. Re: An elusive word    M J Hardman     (18-Jul-2013)
  4. Re: An elusive word    Geoffrey Richard Sampson     (19-Jul-2013)

Back to Most Recent Questions