Dear Colleagues, Linguists, Lovers of Languages, and All Others,
Please allow me to remind you of the possibility to donate to The LINGUIST List with a charitable contribution. LINGUIST is funded by its users, their generous contributions and donations, and it is supported by its hosting institutions, the numerous volunteers, students and team members. For more than twenty years, LINGUIST served the linguistic community worldwide. LINGUIST has existed all these years because of your support and donations; it belongs to each of us and to the new generations of linguists worldwide to come.
More than 13,000 unique visitors on average use the LINGUIST website daily, more than 1.2 million unique visitors yearly. There are more than 100 million hits on the web page yearly. The visitors come from basically every single country on this planet (196 to be exact, which includes Antarctica!). With your help and based on your ideas and suggestions, we are working on improvements and new technologies constantly. Come and visit our office hours and booth in the publishers section at the LSA Annual Meeting 2014 in Minneapolis to get a glimpse of LINGUIST V. 2.0, and help us build the LINGUIST of the future. You will be able to find us on Friday, 3 January 2014 in Minneapolis from 2-5 in Symphony I and from 5-6 in Director’s Row 1.
Your contributions are used for the maintenance and development of the list, the pages, and new services. It is used to support the students, the LINGUIST team, the interns in the summer, to work on LINGUIST so that we all, and all linguists worldwide, can benefit from the important information source. LINGUIST is the central place to search for relevant publications, it is the most important and most frequented site for linguistic job ads, and information related to international linguistic events.
This past year, we have worked to update and begin to develop new services for you. Some of the more notable accomplishments from 2013 include:
- Developing a beta version of the new MultiTree website
- Developing the new LINGUIST V. 2.0 website
- Organized a summer research colloquium series for local linguists
- Digitized a collection of 157 maps on the Yup’ik dialect in Alaska
- Hosted an Open House for visitors to tour the LINGUIST List facilities and meet the students and staff
- Digitized the Linguistic Survey of India map collection
- Hosted office hours at the 2013 LSA conference in Boston
- Hosted 10 interns during the 2013 summer internship program
- Posting 5,200 issues (and counting!) to over 25,000 subscribers around the world
All charitable contributions to The LINGUIST List are tax-deductible. To make a donation, please visit the donation website. You can donate online using a credit card, or via Check or Wire Transfer.
The LINGUIST team and the entire linguistics community appreciates your generosity and support as we continue into 2014.