|Full Title:||International Seminar on Semiotics, Pragmatics, and Culture with One-Day Course in Sign Linguistics|
|Short Title:||Pragmatics & SignLanguage|
|Location:||Depok, West Java, Indonesia|
|Start Date:||17-Jun-2014 - 18-Jun-2014|
|Meeting Email:||click here to access email|
|Meeting Description:||To discuss global and local cultures from the perspectives of semiotics and pragmatics, Linguistics Department of the Faculty of Humanities, Universitas Indonesia, is holding the International Seminar on Semiotics, Pragmatics, and Culture with the theme 'The Role of Semiotics and Pragmatics in Understanding Global and Local Cultures'.
The sub-themes that will be discussed cover:
(1) Semiotics and/or pragmatics and global/local cultures
(2) Semiotics and/or pragmatics and local wisdom
(3) Semiotics and/or pragmatics and sign language
(4) Pragmatics and language teaching
(5) Pragmatics and translation
This International Seminar will be held along with the One-Day Introductory Course to Linguistics of Sign Language and Its Application.
This seminar is aimed to:
(1) discuss the signs of global phenomena, the meanings underlying the signs, and how to respond them;
(2) broaden our knowledge of how semiotics and pragmatics explain global and local cultural phenomena;
(3) increase our awareness capacity of the value of local wisdoms, seen from the perspectives of semiotics and pragmatics, in order to build the character's of the nation.
The One-Day Introductory Course to Linguistics of Sign Language and Its Application is aimed to introduce Sign Language as a subject of linguistics and its application, as in language teaching and translation using sign language.
Prof. Benny Hoed (Universitas Indonesia)
Prof. James Woodward (Chinese University of Hongkong and University of Hawai'i at Manoa)
Dr. Rachel McKee (Victoria University of Wellington)
Dr. F.X. Rahyono (Universitas Indonesia)
Dr. Iwan Gunawan (Jakarta Institute of Arts)
Dr. Tommy Christomy (Universitas Indonesia)
|Linguistic Subfield:||Discourse Analysis; Pragmatics; Translation; Applied Linguistics|
|Calls and Conferences main page|