|Full Title:||4th International Workshop on Sound Change|
|Location:||Edinburgh, United Kingdom|
|Start Date:||19-Apr-2017 - 22-Apr-2017|
|Meeting Email:||click here to access email|
|Meeting Description:||The 4th International Workshop on Sound Change (WSC4) will be held from 20-22 April 2017 at the University of Edinburgh in Edinburgh, Scotland. WSC4 is the continuation of the highly successful workshop series that have previously been held in Barcelona (2010), Kloster Seeon (2012) and Berkeley (2014). The aim of this workshop series is to bring together scholars from a wide range of theoretical and methodological backgrounds in order to foster truly collaborative and interdisciplinary work on the actuation, evaluation, transmission, and diffusion of sound change.
The theme of this workshop is “individuals, communities, and sound change”, with special attention to the role of individual difference in the initiation and propagation of change. By “individual differences”, we refer to those psychological, sociological, genetic and/or behavioural differences between the individuals who make up a speech community at the levels of production, perception and cognitive representation.
Some questions we will consider in detail at this Workshop include:
- How do individual differences relate to community patterns?
- How do they affect variation?
- How do they affect the initiation of changes? Do they help us to identify variation that is likely to lead to change?
- How do they affect the phonologisation of changes?
- How do they affect the propagation of changes?
We have asked our invited speakers to comment specifically on these issues.
- Ricardo Bermúdez-Otero (Manchester)
- Alex Cristia (LCSP Paris)
- Dan Dediu and colleagues (MPI Nijmegen)
- Robin Dodsworth (NCSU)
- Penny Eckert (Stanford)
- Paul Foulkes (York) and Gerry Docherty (Griffith)
- Jonathan Harrington and colleagues (IPS Munich)
- Laurel MacKenzie (NYU)
- Jeff Mielke (NCSU)
- Alan Yu (Chicago)
|Linguistic Subfield:||Historical Linguistics; Phonetics; Phonology|
|Calls and Conferences main page|