How to Play
To play, first select a puzzle from the dropdown menu below. The objective of the game is to fill in the grid so every row, every column, and every 3x3 box contains each of the vowels you see to right of the puzzle (no repeats!). To place a vowel in a square, click on the vowel to the right of the puzzle and then click the square that you would like to place the vowel in.
See below for tips on how to play.
Select Your Puzzle:Warning: you must enable pop-ups in order to submit your entry.
Prizes for This Week's Lingoku:
Prizes (see below) will be awarded to the 5 people who solve the most puzzles from Friday, March 30 - Thursday, April 5, so start playing today!
- a copy of Agreement by Greville G. Corbett, 2006, Cambridge University Press, donated by Greville G. Corbett
- a one-year subscription to the International Journal of Bilingual Education and Bilingualism, donated by Multilingual Matters
- a copy of Convert Text to Phonetic Spelling (USA accent), donated by Tom Zurinskas
- a copy of Studies on Modern Phonetics and Phonology by Lu, Jilun & Wang Jialing. (eds.) 2004. Tianjin: Tianjin Academy of Social Science, donated by Gang Gu
- a one-year subscription to Linguistics & Science Fiction Newsletter, donated by Suzette Haden Elgins
Tips on How to Play
After you've put a vowel in a square, you can change it by selecting a different vowel and clicking the same square. Also, you can remove a vowel by right-clicking on the space it's in, or by selecting the empty black space at the top of the vowel list on the right and then clicking on the vowel you want to erase.
Not sure which vowels you put in and which are given? The vowels outlined in blue are the ones you've been given by the game - you won't be able to change these. Anything else is your own guess!
You might want to start by, for example, looking at a row that already has several vowels given to you. What vowels are missing? For each blank square in the row, what vowels can you add that are not already in the row, column or 3x3 box that the blank square is in?