LINGUIST List 14.3103

Thu Nov 13 2003

Qs: Intonation Break/Eng; Vowel/Zero Terms

Editor for this issue: Naomi Fox <>

We'd like to remind readers that the responses to queries are usually best posted to the individual asking the question. That individual is then strongly encouraged to post a summary to the list. This policy was instituted to help control the huge volume of mail on LINGUIST; so we would appreciate your cooperating with it whenever it seems appropriate. In addition to posting a summary, we'd like to remind people that it is usually a good idea to personally thank those individuals who have taken the trouble to respond to the query. To post to LINGUIST, use our convenient web form at


  1. Eung-Cheon Hah, Intonation Break
  2. Ivan A Derzhanski, Q: Term(s) for V~0

Message 1: Intonation Break

Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 02:22:58 -0500 (EST)
From: Eung-Cheon Hah <>
Subject: Intonation Break

Dear linguists,

I'm wondering if the following sentences, particularly the parts in
upper case, have any difference in intonation break. I would
appreciate it if you could send me your opinions at When I get enough responses, I will post a

(1) a. It's NICE AND WARM weather.
 b. The weather is NICE AND WARM.
(2) a. There is a RED AND WHITE sheet in the other room.
 b. The sheet is RED AND WHITE.

Thanks in advance,
Eung-Cheon Hah 

Subject-Language: English; Code: ENG 
Mail to author|Respond to list|Read more issues|LINGUIST home page|Top of issue

Message 2: Q: Term(s) for V~0

Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 17:15:11 +0200
From: Ivan A Derzhanski <>
Subject: Q: Term(s) for V~0

Is there a more or less commonly accepted term in English for
a vowel that alternates with zero, as the /o/ in Russian _rot_
`mouth', pl. _rty_? I've seen `fugitive' (a literal translation
of Russian _beglaja [glasnaja]_), `unstable' (which could, however,
mean other things as well) and `movable' (which seems better suited
for a segment undergoing metathesis than deletion). What term(s)
do people prefer?

Also, I seem to have come across the term `evanescent' used for the
same purpose, but can't remember where. Does it exist, or am I
misremembering something?

Thanks in advance,
Ivan A Derzhanski
Dept for Math Lx, Inst for Maths & CompSci, Bulg Acad of Sciences
Mail to author|Respond to list|Read more issues|LINGUIST home page|Top of issue