LINGUIST List 15.3118
Fri Nov 05 2004
Jobs: Spanish/Phonetics: Lead Comp Linguist, Eliza Corp
Editor for this issue: Vanessa Manion <vanessalinguistlist.org>
The LINGUIST List strongly encourages employers to use
non-discriminatory standards in hiring policy. In particular we urge
that employers do not discriminate on the grounds of race, ethnicity,
nationality, age, religion, gender, or sexual orientation. However, we
have no means of enforcing these standards.
Job seekers should pay special attention to language in ads regarding
employment requirements and are encouraged to consult our international
employment page http://linguistlist.org/jobnet.html.
This page has been set up so that people can report on the employment
standards of various countries.
To post to LINGUIST, use our convenient web form at
English/Spanish/Phonetics: Lead Comp Linguist, Eliza Corp., MA, USA
Message 1: English/Spanish/Phonetics: Lead Comp Linguist, Eliza Corp., MA, USA
From: Korinne Forgione <kforgioneelizacorp.com>
Subject: English/Spanish/Phonetics: Lead Comp Linguist, Eliza Corp., MA, USA
University or Organization: Eliza Corp.
Job Rank: Lead Computational Linguist
Specialty Areas: Phonetics
Required Language(s): English & Spanish
You will be responsible for the design and implementation of functionally
complete libraries of linguistic resources (including grammars and
lexicons). You will develop grammars and dictionaries for use with our
state-of-the art speech recognition engine, and will lead the efforts of
other computational linguists. Project management skills, such as the
ability to create schedules and judge schedule impacts, are required.
Experience in version control and configuration management for rolling
releases into production is also required.
Candidates must be native speakers of American English. Candidates should
also possess skills in a second language, and be sensitive to the
requirements for linguistic analysis in other languages (e.g., Spanish).
He/She must be able to program in commonly used scripting languages for
research and statistical analysis.
This position is part of the ongoing expansion at Eliza. You will maintain
the Eliza recognition engines in multiple languages, beginning with English
and Spanish. Eliza provides a dynamic, fast-paced, and results-oriented
- Tracking and analyzing linguistic data from application deployments.
- Training, testing, and releasing new acoustic models.
- Developing word models and dictionaries.
- Testing new tools for word model development, tuning, and simulation.
- Versioning control/compatibility across multiple releases. Interfacing with
Application Development, Marketing and customers.
- Opportunity for language-specific R&D work (e.g., Spanish).
- Documentation and reporting of progress to the CTO and the head of
- Hands on technical leader, with both development skills/responsibilities
and team mentoring/leadership roles
- Experience in Linguistics (5+ years)
- Background in speech recognition
- Fluent in C# or C++
- Expert user in Windows platforms
- Program/Project Management (3+ years industry experience)
- Bilingual in Spanish a plus
- Excellent trouble-shooting skills
- High comfort level interacting with sales, systems integrators, end-users, and
- Ability to work effectively both independently and as part of a larger team
- Excellent organization, communication, and interpersonal skills
- M.S. in Electrical Engineering or Computer Science
- M.A. or higher in Linguistics with specialization in phonetics or
Address for Applications:
100 Cummings Center
Beverly, MA 01915
United States of America
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
This announcement was accompanied by a donation to the LINGUIST List!
Respond to list|Read more issues|LINGUIST home page|Top of issue