LINGUIST List 15.3238
Thu Nov 18 2004
Sum: Possible Book in Coptic
Editor for this issue: Jessica Boynton <jessicalinguistlist.org>
To post to LINGUIST, use our convenient web form at
Possible Book in Coptic
Message 1: Possible Book in Coptic
From: L. Pazzaglia <pazzagliayahoo.com>
Subject: Possible Book in Coptic
Regarding query http://www.linguistlist.org/issues/15/15-3228.html
Thanks everyone for your replies on my query as to what this book was!
I've received lots of information and I've been told that it's customary
for me to follow-up and let you know what I've found out.
- I received confirmation from several respondants that it is *not* written
- The book is written in Ethiopic, more precisely Ge'ez or Amharic (if more
recent)- the language of Christian Ethiopians. Several of you have sent me
this website where I could see for myself:
- According to just one respondant, this is one of the ''Magic Books''
which is the ''Ehtiopian Bndlet of Righteousness''. E.A.W.Budge has made
an English translation which I will hunt down. I managed to find a photo of
it online and it is very similar to mine - though it is written on
parchment and not leather (don't know if this distinction matters):
- Acoording to another respondant, this is a syllabary and a couple of
others have told me that it's a Lithurgical text (this information does not
necessarily conflict or agree with the previous statement)
- I received a recommendation to contact a German scholar who has written a
book in Ge'ez - which I will contact.
- I did get one complaint on the quality of the photos ; ) - sorry I don't
have a really steady hand but I will invest in a stand for my digital camera.
Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to look at the book and comment
-- if you have new infromation to share please feel free to send it to me!
Linguistic Field(s): Writing Systems
Respond to list|Read more issues|LINGUIST home page|Top of issue