LINGUIST List 15.3260
Sat Nov 20 2004
Jobs: English/Discourse Analyst: Linguist, CA
Editor for this issue: Vanessa Manion <vanessalinguistlist.org>
The LINGUIST List strongly encourages employers to use
non-discriminatory standards in hiring policy. In particular we urge
that employers do not discriminate on the grounds of race, ethnicity,
nationality, age, religion, gender, or sexual orientation. However, we
have no means of enforcing these standards.
Job seekers should pay special attention to language in ads regarding
employment requirements and are encouraged to consult our international
employment page http://linguistlist.org/jobnet.html.
This page has been set up so that people can report on the employment
standards of various countries.
To post to LINGUIST, use our convenient web form at
English & Discourse Analyst: Discourse Analyst/Linguist, H5 Technologies, CA, USA
Message 1: English & Discourse Analyst: Discourse Analyst/Linguist, H5 Technologies, CA, USA
From: Katie Laine <klaineh5technologies.com>
Subject: English & Discourse Analyst: Discourse Analyst/Linguist, H5 Technologies, CA, USA
University or Organization: H5 Technologies
Job Rank: Discourse Analyst/Linguist
Specialty Areas: Discourse Analysis
Required Language: English
H5 Technologies, Inc. is a privately held, Draper Fisher Jurvetson funded
company in San Francisco's SOMA district. We provide accelerated document
discovery services to law firms and corporate counsels through both direct
sales and outsourced service contracts, in partnership with leading
litigation support firms and technology partners. The combination of H5's
patented technology with advanced linguistic analysis has enabled us to
consistently outperform alternative approaches to document discovery on
price, quality and speed.
Our Professional Services Group consults with litigants and their legal
teams to devise a classification scheme, and then trains our patented
software engine to automatically classify documents in the collection.
Anticipating a period of rapid growth, H5 is seeking Linguists to work
closely with research analysts and document reviewers on a 6 to 8 person
project team, playing an active role in all aspects of a client engagement.
- Rapidly developing an understanding of new fields
- Reading a wide variety of documents, from email to academic articles;
synthesizing large amounts of information into a coherent picture of the
community that produced and used it
- Researching factual issues in complex litigation
- Interviewing subject matter experts
- Analyzing linguistic data
- Researching large corpora for linguistic patterns
- Identifying and modeling processes and relationships in a community
- Designing, building, and testing H5's unique and proprietary knowledge
- Demonstrated understanding of role of syntax in language.
- Mastery of the English language.
- An interest in researching and modeling another community's structure and
the interests, goals, and constraints that shape the actions of members
of that community's experience in ethnography or anthropology a plus.
- Leadership skills, personal incentive and a demonstrated ability to
initiate, develop, and successfully conclude projects.
- A sharp eye for detail, precise thinking, ability to make close,
analytical judgments, and a practiced sense of order and organization.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines, both autonomously and
- Experience in a software development environment a plus.
- Basic computer and software competency in a PC/Windows environment,
including Microsoft Office application. Basic familiarity with Unix and
PERL programming skills a plus.
- Solid academic credentials: graduate-level coursework in linguistics
- Experience applying linguistic expertise to real language data -
experience in Corpus Analysis, Text Analysis, Conversational Analysis, or
Computational Linguistics a plus.
H5 Technologies fosters a culture that rewards personal excellence in the
pursuit of our common goals and is extraordinarily respectful of the
individual and of the creative, intellectual, and cultural diversity of our
team. Our culture has allowed us to attract and retain talented individuals
who are driven by a vision of the way we will transform the practice of
To apply: Send resume to dajobsh5technologies.com
Principals only, recruiters, please do not contact.
H5 Technologies is an equal opportunity employer.
Address for Applications:
Recruiter Barbara Saunders
520 Third St. #17
San Francisco, CA 94107
United States of America
Application Deadline: 01-Jan-2005
Director, HR Katie Laine
This announcement was not accompanied by a donation to the LINGUIST List.
It is being posted as a service to the discipline.
Respond to list|Read more issues|LINGUIST home page|Top of issue