LINGUIST List 15.3374
Thu Dec 02 2004
Jobs: English/Applied Ling: Assoc Prof, U of Aizu
Editor for this issue: Vanessa Manion <vanessalinguistlist.org>
The LINGUIST List strongly encourages employers to use
non-discriminatory standards in hiring policy. In particular we urge
that employers do not discriminate on the grounds of race, ethnicity,
nationality, age, religion, gender, or sexual orientation. However, we
have no means of enforcing these standards.
Job seekers should pay special attention to language in ads regarding
employment requirements and are encouraged to consult our international
employment page http://linguistlist.org/jobnet.html.
This page has been set up so that people can report on the employment
standards of various countries.
To post to LINGUIST, use our convenient web form at
English & Applied Linguistics: Assoc Prof, University of Aizu, Fukushima, Japan
Message 1: English & Applied Linguistics: Assoc Prof, University of Aizu, Fukushima, Japan
From: Thomas Orr <t-orru-aizu.ac.jp>
Subject: English & Applied Linguistics: Assoc Prof, University of Aizu, Fukushima, Japan
University or Organization: University of Aizu
Department: Center for Language Research
Job Rank: Associate Professor
Specialty Areas: Applied Linguistics; ELT, ESP, CALL, Technical Communication
Required Language: English (Language Code: ENG)
- PhD (completed) in ELT, ESP, CALL, Technical Communication, Applied
Linguistics, or related field.
- Scholarly publications.
- Native or near native English-speaker proficiency.
- Ability to teach academic/technical English for computer science and computer
- Teaching experience in higher education.
- Experience with computer-assisted language learning.
Teaching 4-5 classes per semester (one class is 90 minutes per week); developing
course materials; participating in group projects; serving on committees;
conducting research; and carrying out other university-related responsibilities.
Salary: (Prefectural scale based on experience and qualifications)
- Subsidized furnished housing in faculty apartments within walking distance of
- Large, well-equipped private office in modern building
- New-employee allowance for computer equipment
- Well-equipped, air-conditioned, high-tech classrooms
- Annual budget for research, domestic conference travel, academic memberships,
- Eligibility for one annual overseas conference trip
- Internal grant opportunities for special research projects/conferences
- Subsidies for special extra-curricular classes
- Winter cost allowance
- Two to three bonuses per year
- Regular full-time employment till age 65 with retirement and health benefits
(tenured after three years)
- One-way airfare to Aizu-Wakamatsu
- Shipping expense allowance
- Rural setting less than 30 minutes from nearby ski resorts, hot springs, rivers,
lakes, mountains, parks, museums, shopping, historical district, etc.
- Two and a half hours from Tokyo by train
- Cover letter
- CV (education, publications, teaching experience)
- Copies of best published papers
- Three letters of recommendation
- Copies of university diplomas
- URLs of on-line syllabi or educational materials
All documents should be sent to the following address:
Faculty Selection Committee
c/o Personnel Affairs Section
University of Aizu
Aizu-Wakamatsu City, Fukushima 965-8580, Japan
The University of Aizu is the first university in Japan solely dedicated to
computer science and engineering. It has approximately 1,200 students at the
undergraduate and graduate level, and about half of its faculty are
non-Japanese, coming from roughly 10 different countries. The University is
officially bilingual and all official meetings/documents are conducted/printed
in both English and Japanese.
The University of Aizu is located in Aizu-Wakamatsu City, an historic castle
town of scenic beauty with a population of nearly 120,000. For more information
about the university, please visit our web page: http://www.u-aizu.ac.jp/
Address for Applications:
Ms. Yuko Kesen
Faculty Selection Committee, c/o Personnel Affairs Section
University of Aizu
Aizu-Wakamatsu, Fukushima 965-8580
Application Deadline: 17-Dec-2004
Dr. Steven Tripp
Phone: +81 242-37-2584
This announcement was not accompanied by a donation to the LINGUIST List.
It is being posted as a service to the discipline.
Respond to list|Read more issues|LINGUIST home page|Top of issue