LINGUIST List 15.3440
Wed Dec 08 2004
Jobs: Text/Corpus Ling/Comp Ling: Scientist, New York
Editor for this issue: Vanessa Manion <vanessalinguistlist.org>
The LINGUIST List strongly encourages employers to use
non-discriminatory standards in hiring policy. In particular we urge
that employers do not discriminate on the grounds of race, ethnicity,
nationality, age, religion, gender, or sexual orientation. However, we
have no means of enforcing these standards.
Job seekers should pay special attention to language in ads regarding
employment requirements and are encouraged to consult our international
employment page http://linguistlist.org/jobnet.html.
This page has been set up so that people can report on the employment
standards of various countries.
To post to LINGUIST, use our convenient web form at
Arabic/English & Text/Corpus Ling/Comp Ling: Scientist, TextWise, NY, USA
Message 1: Arabic/English & Text/Corpus Ling/Comp Ling: Scientist, TextWise, NY, USA
From: Marybeth Finnigan <marybethtextwise.com>
Subject: Arabic/English & Text/Corpus Ling/Comp Ling: Scientist, TextWise, NY, USA
University or Organization: TextWise LLC (Rochester/Syracuse NY)
Job Rank: Research Scientist / Linguist
Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics; Text/Corpus Linguistics;
Required Language(s): Arabic, Standard (ABV)
Join the CINDOR team to extend our state-of-the-art cross-language information
retrieval system to Arabic. This position reports to the Director of Science.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Optimize linguistic algorithms and custom toolkit for cross-language text mining.
- Use toolkit to semi-automatically build an Arabic lexical database associated
with an expanded version of Princeton WordNet.
- Develop query disambiguation, translation, and optimization to target multiple
- Measure precision/recall of the system and design new ways to improve
- Work within a geographically distributed team of highly skilled scientists and
- Ph.D. (or M.S. with 2+ years commercial experience) in computational
linguistics, computer science, or related area.
- Strong knowledge and hands-on experience in:
Natural Language Processing (NLP);
Cross-Language Information Retrieval (CLIR);
WordNet architecture and optimization;
Java / Linux programming.
- Linguistic experience with Arabic strongly desired.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Ability to work both independently and within an existing team.
Address for Applications:
401 South Salina Street
Syracuse, NY 13202
United States of America
Application Deadline: 01-Jan-2005
This announcement was accompanied by a donation to the LINGUIST List!
Respond to list|Read more issues|LINGUIST home page|Top of issue