LINGUIST List 15.3445
Thu Dec 09 2004
Jobs: Comp Ling/Lang Modeling Researcher: Researcher, MA
Editor for this issue: Vanessa Manion <vanessalinguistlist.org>
The LINGUIST List strongly encourages employers to use
non-discriminatory standards in hiring policy. In particular we urge
that employers do not discriminate on the grounds of race, ethnicity,
nationality, age, religion, gender, or sexual orientation. However, we
have no means of enforcing these standards.
Job seekers should pay special attention to language in ads regarding
employment requirements and are encouraged to consult our international
employment page http://linguistlist.org/jobnet.html.
This page has been set up so that people can report on the employment
standards of various countries.
To post to LINGUIST, use our convenient web form at
English & Computational Linguistics/Language Modeling Researcher: Researcher, Dictaphone, MA, USA
Message 1: English & Computational Linguistics/Language Modeling Researcher: Researcher, Dictaphone, MA, USA
From: Amy Uhrbach <amy.uhrbachdictaphone.com>
Subject: English & Computational Linguistics/Language Modeling Researcher: Researcher, Dictaphone, MA, USA
University or Organization: Dictaphone
Department: Core Speech Research & Development
Job Rank: Researcher
Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics; Language Modeling
Required Language(s): English (ENG)
Core Speech Research & Development at Dictaphone is looking for a senior or
principal language modeling research engineer. A successful candidate will
have significant experience with advanced speech and language modeling
algorithms and software development techniques and processes. S/he should have
the ability to provide technical leadership and to innovate solutions for
complex and difficult problems. The research engineer will work with the speech
modeling and engineering teams.
- Develop, build, tune, and test high-quality language models for various
- Write scripts and use in house tools to clean, analyze, normalize, and process
text data for statistical language models, and to support the devlopment of other
text processing modules.
- Work closely with R&D groups and business units to create specialty domains.
- Establish and/or consult on full documentation and test/validation procedures.
- Write detailed research reports, and design and functional specifications.
- Determine and/or consult on project design and algorithms for integrated speech
- Help develop innovative solutions for complex and difficult language and text
- Review, evaluate, and implement new linguistic, statistical, natural language
processing, and computer methods and tools.
- Minimum of MS in Engineering, Computer Science, Speech, Computational
Linguistics, or equivalent plus 5-6 years of experience. PhD a plus.
- Expert in language modeling, speech recognition, statistical analysis, and
research methodologies. Machine learning experience a plus.
- Broad application of algorithm and software development principles, processes,
theories, and concepts.
- Has developed specialized theoretical and practical skills with working knowledge
of related disciplines.
- Proficiency in at least one data manipulation language (Perl or Python) and at
least one programming language.
- Excellent organization skills.
- Good testing methodology, isolating variables to understand and anticipate
- Good working knowledge of appropriate software development tools.
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
This position is in Burlington, MA.
Please apply on the web site (http://www.dictaphone.com), click on Careers.
Address for Applications:
Application Deadline: 31-Jan-2005
This announcement was accompanied by a donation to the LINGUIST List!
Respond to list|Read more issues|LINGUIST home page|Top of issue