LINGUIST List 16.1126
Fri Apr 08 2005
Jobs: English/Discourse Analysis: Analyst/Linguist, CA
Editor for this issue: Vanessa Manion <vanessalinguistlist.org>
The LINGUIST List strongly encourages employers to use non-discriminatory standards in hiring policy. In particular we urge that employers do not discriminate on the grounds of race, ethnicity, nationality, age, religion, gender, or sexual orientation. However, we have no means of enforcing these standards.
Job seekers should pay special attention to language in ads regarding employment requirements and are encouraged to consult our international employment page at http://linguistlist.org/jobnet.html. This page has been set up so that people can report on the employment standards of various countries.
To post to LINGUIST, use our convenient web form at http://linguistlist.org/posttolinguist.html
English & Discourse Analysis: Discourse Analyst/Linguist, H5 Technologies, CA, USA
Message 1: English & Discourse Analysis: Discourse Analyst/Linguist, H5 Technologies, CA, USA
From: Katie Laine <klaineh5technologies.com>
Subject: English & Discourse Analysis: Discourse Analyst/Linguist, H5 Technologies, CA, USA
University or Organization: H5 Technologies
Job Rank: Discourse Analyst / Linguist
Specialty Areas: Discourse Analysis; Corpus Linguistics, Syntax
Required Language: English (ENG)
H5 Technologies, Inc. is a privately held, Draper Fisher Jurvetson funded
company located in San Francisco's SOMA district. H5 provides technology
based document review services to government agencies, law firms and
corporate counsels through both direct sales and outsourced service
contracts. H5's patented technology, which replicates and automates human
relevance assessments, along with our advanced linguistic analysis enables
the review of massive document collections with unparalleled results. H5
has have consistently outperformed alternative approaches to document
review on price, speed and above all, quality.
Our Descriptive Modeling Group consults with litigants and their legal
teams to devise a classification scheme, and then trains our patented
software engine to automatically classify documents in the collection.
Anticipating a period of rapid growth, H5 is seeking Linguists to work
closely with research analysts and document reviewers on a 6 to 8 person
project team, playing an active role in all aspects of a client engagement.
- Rapidly developing an understanding of new fields
- Reading a wide variety of documents, from email to academic articles;
synthesizing large amounts of information into a coherent picture of the
community that produced and used it
- Researching factual issues in complex litigation
- Interviewing subject matter experts
- Analyzing linguistic data
- Researching large corpora for linguistic patterns
- Identifying and modeling processes and relationships in a community
- Designing, building, and testing H5's unique and proprietary knowledge bases
- Demonstrated understanding of role of syntax in language.
- Mastery of the English language.
- An interest in researching and modeling another community's structure and
the interests, goals, and constraints that shape the actions of members of
that community - experience in ethnography or anthropology a plus.
- Leadership skills, personal incentive and a demonstrated ability to
initiate, develop, and successfully conclude projects.
- A sharp eye for detail, precise thinking, ability to make close,
analytical judgments, and a practiced sense of order and organization.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines, both autonomously and
- Experience in a software development environment a plus.
- Basic computer and software competency in a PC/Windows environment,
including Microsoft Office application. Basic familiarity with Unix and
PERL - programming skills a plus.
- Solid academic credentials: graduate-level coursework in linguistics
- Experience applying linguistic expertise to real language data -
experience in Corpus Analysis, Text Analysis, Conversational Analysis, or
Computational Linguistics a plus.
H5 Technologies fosters a culture that rewards personal excellence in the
pursuit of our common goals and is extraordinarily respectful of the
individual and of the creative, intellectual, and cultural diversity of our
team. Our culture has allowed us to attract and retain talented individuals
who are driven by a vision of the way we will transform the practice of
H5 Technologies is an equal opportunity employer.
Address for Applications:
please submit resume and cover letter to ling-jobsh5technologies.com
Application Deadline: Open until filled.
Discourse Analyst Gina Taranto
Phone: 415.625.6701 ext. 307
This announcement was accompanied by a donation to the LINGUIST List!
Respond to list|Read more issues|LINGUIST home page|Top of issue