LINGUIST List 16.148
Tue Jan 18 2005
Calls: Applied Ling/General Ling/Cuba; Applied Ling/UK
Editor for this issue: Amy Wronkowicz <amylinguistlist.org>
As a matter of policy, LINGUIST discourages the use of abbreviations
or acronyms in conference announcements unless they are explained in
the text. To post to LINGUIST, use our convenient web form at
2nd Conference of Studies in the Humanities
10th Anniversary Conference of Pan-Pacific Association of Applied Linguistics
Message 1: 2nd Conference of Studies in the Humanities
From: Ana Fernández <anavuclv.edu.cu>
Subject: 2nd Conference of Studies in the Humanities
Full Title: 2nd Conference of Studies in the Humanities
Date: 11-Apr-2005 - 14-Apr-2005
Location: Santa Clara, Villa Clara, Cuba
Contact Person: Dianaleis Maza
Meeting Email: damoresuclv.edu.cu
Linguistic Field(s): Applied Linguistics; Computational Linguistics; Discourse
Analysis; General Linguistics; Language Acquisition; Language Description; Ling
& Literature; Pragmatics; Psycholinguistics; Sociolinguistics; Text/Corpus
Call Deadline: 10-Feb-2005
To promote the exchange of ideas between linguists, experts in language
teaching, literature and art, and researchers in the fields of culture,
language and discourse Initiate co-operation between interested
institutions and individuals.
* Multidisciplinary and interdisciplinary approaches in the Humanities
- Discourses, ideology and cultural identity
- Discoursal realizations of difference
- Imaginaries and literature
- Colonial and post-colonial studies in literature
- Current trends in literary theory, cultural studies and sociocriticism
- Globalization and the construction of national literatures in Ibero-America
* Applied Linguistics
- Descriptive studies of contemporary Spanish, English and French
- Linguistic, psychological and methodological issues of bilingual mediated
* Didactics in the Humanities
- Language Teaching
- Literature Teaching
- Humanistic Education
- Multimedia and computer-aided instruction in the Humanities
Spanish, English and French
Submission of abstracts before February, 10th 2005
Communication of acceptance by the Organizing Committee until February,
Submission of papers before March, 10th 2005
Submitted in English, French and Spanish with a maximum of 250 words
Should no exceed 8 pages (8 1/2 x 11 inches) (including graphs, tables,
bibliography, etc.) using a Times New Roman font of 12 points and
Time allotted: 15 minutes
Message 2: 10th Anniversary Conference of Pan-Pacific Association of Applied Linguistics
From: Masanori Oya <officepaaljapan.org>
Subject: 10th Anniversary Conference of Pan-Pacific Association of Applied Linguistics
Full Title: 10th Anniversary Conference of Pan-Pacific Association of Applied
Short Title: 10th PAAL
Date: 02-Aug-2005 - 04-Aug-2005
Location: The University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Contact Person: Masanori Oya
Meeting Email: officepaaljapan.org
Web Site: http://www.paaljapan.org
Linguistic Field(s): Applied Linguistics; Language Acquisition
Call Deadline: 28-Feb-2005
Second Language Acquisition and Asian Englishes
The PAAL Conference is a forum for academic exchange among scholoars and
practioners in applied linguistics and related areas. The conference
provides a venue for the dissemination of current research on a wide
variety of issues concerning Asia and beyound.
FIRST CALL FOR PAPERS
The 10th Anniversary Conference of Pan-Pacific Association of Applied
August 2-4, 2005
The University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, UK
Web page: http://www.paaljapan.org
Dr Alan Davis (University of Edinburgh)
Dr Hugh Trappes-Lomax (University of Edinburgh)
and more (to be announced)
AREAS OF INTEREST
Areas of include, but are not limited to, the following topics:
*Language Acquisition (FLA/SLA)
*Language and Culture
*Language Policy and Planning
*Oral presentation will be allowed 20 minutes for presentation and 10
minutes for discussion and questions.
*Poster presentation will be designated 2 hour blocks for display and
(1) All abstracts should be submitted via registration form on the web page
(2) The deadline of registration is Jan 31, and the deadline of submitting
abstract is Feb 28.
(3) *Registration fee:
Adult:£60 (JPY12,000) per person
Graduate Student:£50 (JPY10,000) per person (by Jan 31).
Adult:£100 (JPY20,000) per person
Graduate Student:£75 (JPY15,000) per person (by Apr 30).
Adult:£120 (JPY24,000) per person
Graduate Student:£100 (JPY20,000) per person (after Apr 30).
*Registration fee includes:
3 Tea/Coffee breaks
2-course servery lunch
(4) Registration fee must be deposited to our regular bank account:
4112429 PAAL Office Tae Hasegawa
Bank of Mitsui-Sumitomo, Takadanobaba Branch(Branch No.273).
Bank account for participants outside Japan:
5889 0201 0527 0613 citibank
(1) Only one submission per individual author and one joint author
submission will be considered.
(2) The length of the abstract should not exceed 1,000 words in English
(not including data and references, which may be placed on a separate page).
(3) The abstract should be submitted from the web page.
(4) If your abstract includes phonetic fonts or extensive formatting,
submit a PDF file with fonts embedded not via the web page, but to our
office via e-mail (officepaaljapan.org).
1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th, August, 2005
Single en-suites, Chancellors Court £64.00 per person, per night.
(1) All rooms are inclusive of Bed and Full Scottish Breakfast.
(2) This is the only accommodation for the conference, and only single rooms
can be available. We highly recommend you to book this official
accommodation, since it is really difficult to book accommodations on your
own due to Edinburgh Festival.
(3) For booking the accommodation, see the web page
(4) See booking conditions on the web page
*Abstract submission deadline: Feb 28, 2005
*Notification of acceptance: Mar 31, 2005
*Conference: Aug 2-4, 2005
The proceedings of the conference will be published via CD-Rom by PAAL
publications. A call for papers for contributions will be issued after the
conference. The abstracts and the programme of the conference will be
available on the web page.
For information about PAAL 2005, please contact us at officepaaljapan.org
Respond to list|Read more issues|LINGUIST home page|Top of issue