LINGUIST List 16.1956|
Fri Jun 24 2005
Jobs: Computational Ling: Researcher, Ask Jeeves
Editor for this issue: Ann Sawyer
The LINGUIST List strongly encourages employers to use non-discriminatory standards in hiring policy. In particular we urge that employers do not discriminate on the grounds of race, ethnicity, nationality, age, religion, gender, or sexual orientation. However, we have no means of enforcing these standards. Job seekers should pay special attention to language in ads regarding employment requirements and are encouraged to consult our international employment page http://linguistlist.org/jobs/jobnet.html. This page has been set up so that people can report on the employment standards of various countries. To post to LINGUIST, use our convenient web form at http://linguistlist.org/LL/posttolinguist.html.
Computational Linguistics: Researcher, Ask Jeeves, Oakland, CA, USA
Message 1: Computational Linguistics: Researcher, Ask Jeeves, Oakland, CA, USA
From: Danica Brinton <dbrintonask.com>
Subject: Computational Linguistics: Researcher, Ask Jeeves, Oakland, CA, USA
This announcement was accompanied by a donation to the LINGUIST List!
University or Organization: Ask Jeeves
Department: International Product Management
Job Rank: Researcher
Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics; Product Management, Foreign Language
Required Language(s): Dutch (DUT)
German, Standard (GER)
International Product Manager Search Engine (Oakland downtown)
International Product Manager/Localization Product Manager, Search Engine
manages all of Ask Jeeves search products for Ask Jeeves locales and languages.
1. Responsible for search products across all international Ask Jeeves properties.
Countries: UK, Spain, Japan, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, France, Canada,
Australia, Brazil, China, Korea.
2. Manages all search localization cycles and assures maintenance of localized
products throughout their lifecycle.
3. Responsible for every full-feature or incremental release of their given
product set. Fully owns products for all locales through the following phases:
Concept; Localizability Assessment; Linguistic Research and Development;
Planning; Eng. Development; Site deployment; QA; Relevancy testing; Launch; Post
launch maintenance; Performance tracking.
4. Works together the US Product Manager on core product development assuring
full product localizability.
5. Conducts product and market research for different locales.
6. Works with and gathers information for a given search product from available
tracking tools and from Research and Analysis Group.
7. Determines whether the product will be released simultaneously with US or on
consecutive release schedule.
8. Provides necessary data to Content Management to fascilitate language/country
9. Provides necessary linguistic input for search product improvements.
10. Conducts/organizes user testing.
11. Works with US Product Management and Program Management to establish
roll-out dates per locale.
12. Writes comprehensive IPRD and detailed localization specifications that can
be used by appropriate Engineering groups.
13. Work with Localization Engineering on devising the best localization
14. Work with engineers to assure fast resolution of any localization issues.
15. Devise strategies for improvement of the international products.
16. Constantly keep abreast of relevancy testing results and work with Content
Management on constantly improving product relevancy.
17. Always be on top of the product schedule issues.
18. Conduct frequent product testing before and after launch.
19. Work closely with Global and Regional Marketing and PR for the given set of
20. Assure consistent product look, feel and functionalities globally.
21. Translate Sales, Marketing and Business Development requirements into detailed
search product specifications.
22. Help Customer Support with any escalation resolutions.
3+ years in international product management and/or localization of search engine.
Thorough knowledge of search engine localization practices. Fluency in at least
one of the following languages: Spanish, French, German, Italian, Dutch,
Japanese, Chinese. Knowledge of content editorial tools. Academic concentration
or work experience in computational linguistics, human-computer interaction,
artificial intelligence, information retrieval preferred. Demonstrated
experience in gathering and coalescing market needs and opportunities into a
Address for Applications:
555 12th street
Oakland, CA 94608
United States of America
Application Deadline: Open until filled.
Respond to list|Read more issues|LINGUIST home page|Top of issue
Please report any bad links or misclassified data
LINGUIST Homepage | Read
LINGUIST | Contact us
While the LINGUIST List makes every effort to ensure the linguistic relevance of sites listed
on its pages, it cannot vouch for their contents.