LINGUIST List 16.2307|
Tue Aug 02 2005
Jobs: General/Comp Ling: Consultants, Butler Hill Group
Editor for this issue: Ann Sawyer
The LINGUIST List strongly encourages employers to use non-discriminatory standards in hiring policy. In particular we urge that employers do not discriminate on the grounds of race, ethnicity, nationality, age, religion, gender, or sexual orientation. However, we have no means of enforcing these standards. Job seekers should pay special attention to language in ads regarding employment requirements and are encouraged to consult our international employment page http://linguistlist.org/jobs/jobnet.html. This page has been set up so that people can report on the employment standards of various countries. To post to LINGUIST, use our convenient web form at http://linguistlist.org/LL/posttolinguist.html.
General/Computational Linguistics: Consultants, Butler Hill Group, Ridgefield, USA
Message 1: General/Computational Linguistics: Consultants, Butler Hill Group, Ridgefield, USA
From: Mo Corston-Oliver <mcobutlerhill.com>
Subject: General/Computational Linguistics: Consultants, Butler Hill Group, Ridgefield, USA
This announcement was accompanied by a donation to the LINGUIST List!
University or Organization: Butler Hill Group
Job Rank: Consultant
Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics; General Linguistics
Required Language(s): Czech (CZC)
Norwegian, Bokmaal (NRR)
Linguistic consultants needed
The Butler Hill Group, a small computational linguistics consulting group,
is seeking linguists for a short-term contract. This is a work-at-home,
freelance opportunity which requires meticulous attention to detail and
greater than average comfort with software and technology.
- US work authorization, if US-based. Sorry, but the Butler Hill Group
cannot sponsor employment visas. Non-US citizens living in their home
countries are of course encouraged to apply.
- Detail-oriented nature
- Experience with linguistic text (e.g. linguistic corpora, lexicography or
lexicology, field research, statistical research)
- Native or near-native speaker of target language
- Recent experience living in target country and/or educated in target
country. Must have current knowledge of common formats in target country
for telephone numbers, addresses, proper names, punctuation conventions,
spelling reform, etc.
- Familiarity with "variables": either linguistic formalisms or
programming/computational linguistics background
- Excellent writing and communication skills in English
- Current generation Windows machine, internet connection, MS Office 2000 +
- Dutch, Brazilian Portuguese, Swedish, Polish, Danish, Norwegian (Bokmal),
Czech, Iberian Portuguese, Finnish
Varies by language, but for most languages, approximately 80 hours work
total between now and early December.
Please apply by email only; please send a current resume or CV to
job1002butlerhill.com. Please include a cover letter stating clearly:
- US work authorization status, or country you are currently residing in
- Availability (hours per week & vacation schedule, if known) from now
- Languages you are applying for, and other languages spoken (with fluency)
Address for Applications:
email only please
Ridgefield, CT 06877
United States of America
Application Deadline: Open until filled.
Phone: email only, please
Respond to list|Read more issues|LINGUIST home page|Top of issue
Please report any bad links or misclassified data
LINGUIST Homepage | Read
LINGUIST | Contact us
While the LINGUIST List makes every effort to ensure the linguistic relevance of sites listed
on its pages, it cannot vouch for their contents.