LINGUIST List 16.3208|
Tue Nov 08 2005
Jobs: English & Applied Ling: Asst Prof, U of Aizu
Editor for this issue: Vanessa Manion
The LINGUIST List strongly encourages employers to use non-discriminatory standards in hiring policy. In particular we urge that employers do not discriminate on the grounds of race, ethnicity, nationality, age, religion, gender, or sexual orientation. However, we have no means of enforcing these standards. Job seekers should pay special attention to language in ads regarding employment requirements and are encouraged to consult our international employment page http://linguistlist.org/jobs/jobnet.html. This page has been set up so that people can report on the employment standards of various countries. To post to LINGUIST, use our convenient web form at http://linguistlist.org/LL/posttolinguist.html.
English & Applied Linguistics: Asst Prof, University of Aizu, Fukushima, Japan
Message 1: English & Applied Linguistics: Asst Prof, University of Aizu, Fukushima, Japan
From: Steven Tripp <trippu-aizu.ac.jp>
Subject: English & Applied Linguistics: Asst Prof, University of Aizu, Fukushima, Japan
This announcement was accompanied by a donation to the LINGUIST List!
University or Organization: University of Aizu
Department: Center for Language Research
Job Rank: Assistant Professor
Specialty Areas: Applied Linguistics; CALL, Technical Communication, ESP
Required Language(s): English (eng)
- PhD in CALL, Technical Communication, Applied Linguistics, ELT,
ESP, or related field.
- Scholarly publications.
- Native or near-native English-speaker proficiency.
- Ability to teach academic/technical English for computer science
and computer engineering.
- Teaching experience in higher education.
- Experience with computer-assisted language learning.
Teaching 4-5 classes per semester (one class is 90 minutes per week);
developing course materials; participating in group projects; serving on
committees; conducting research; and carrying out other university-related
Salary: (Prefectural scale based on experience and qualifications)
- Subsidized furnished housing in faculty apartments within walking
distance of the University
- Large, well-equipped private office in modern building
- New-employee allowance for computer equipment
- Well-equipped, air-conditioned, high-tech classrooms
- Annual budget for research, domestic conference travel, academic
- Eligibility for one annual overseas conference trip
- Internal grant opportunities for special research projects/conferences
- Subsidies for special extra-curricular classes
- Winter cost allowance
- Two bonuses per year
- Regular full-time employment till age 65 with retirement and health
benefits (tenured after three years)
- One-way airfare to Aizu-Wakamatsu
- Shipping expense allowance
- Rural setting less than 30 minutes from nearby ski resorts, hot springs,
rivers, lakes, mountains, parks, museums, shopping, historical district, etc.
- Two and a half hours from Tokyo by train
1) Cover letter
2) CV (degrees with years of enrollment and graduation, publications,
teaching experience with starting and ending dates)
3) Copies of your best published papers
4) Three current letters of recommendation
5) Copies of university diplomas
6) URLs of on-line syllabi or educational materials
All documents should be sent to the address below.
Interviews (in Japan) are to be held in the first or second week of
December. The University of Aizu is the first university in Japan
solely dedicated to computer science and engineering. It has
approximately 1,200 students at the undergraduate and graduate level,
and about half of its faculty is non-Japanese, coming from roughly 10
different countries. The University is officially bilingual and all
official meetings/documents are conducted/printed in both English and
The University of Aizu is located in Aizu-Wakamatsu City, an historic
castle town of scenic beauty with a population of nearly 120,000. For
more information about the university, please visit our web page:
Address for Applications:
Faculty Selection Committee, Dr. Steven Tripp
c/o Personnel Affairs Section
University of Aizu
Aizu-Wakamatsu City, Fukushima 965-8580, Japan
Application Deadline: 30-Nov-2005
Dr. Steven Tripp
Phone: 81 242-37-2584
Fax: 81 242-37-2599
Respond to list|Read more issues|LINGUIST home page|Top of issue
Please report any bad links or misclassified data
LINGUIST Homepage | Read
LINGUIST | Contact us
While the LINGUIST List makes every effort to ensure the linguistic relevance of sites listed
on its pages, it cannot vouch for their contents.