From: Elyse Turr <elyse.turroup.com>
Subject: The English Language: Brinton, Arnovick
Title: The English Language
Subtitle: A Linguistic History
Publisher: Oxford University Press
Book URL: http://www.oup.com/uk/catalogue/?ci=9780195422054
Author: Laurel J. Brinton
Author: Leslie K. Arnovick
Paperback: ISBN: 0195422058 Pages: 542 Price: U.K. £ 45.99 Comment: ISBN-13: 978-0-19-542205-4
- Does not assume any background knowledge in language or linguistics
- Thoroughly linguistically based
- Focuses on processes of language change that provides explanations and contextualizes the detailed changes
- Provides great than usual attention to syntax
- Gives a fuller treatment of Indo-European and Germanic
- Incorporates new theories, such as "grammaticalization"
- Offers a balanced focus on formal and cultural aspects of language history
- Most of the examples presented are taken from literary sources, especially Chaucer and Shakespeare for Middle and Early Modern English, respectively
- Integrates self-testing exercises throughout the book
- Provides recommended web links (external history, pronunciation guides, grammar reviews, supplemental exercises, sample manuscripts and texts, maps, etc.) at the end of each chapter
Subject Language(s): English (eng)
Written In: English (eng )
See this book announcement on our website:
This Year the LINGUIST List hopes to raise $55,000. This money will go to help keep the
List running by supporting all of our Student Editors for the coming year.
See below for donation instructions, and don't forget to check out our Fund Drive 2007
LINGUIST List Superhero Adventure for some Fund Drive fun!
There are many ways to donate to LINGUIST!
You can donate right now using our secure credit card form.
Alternatively you can also pledge right now and pay later.
For all information on donating and pledging, including information on how to donate by
check, money order, or wire transfer, please visit:
The LINGUIST List is under the umbrella of Eastern Michigan University and as such can
receive donations through the EMU Foundation, which is a registered 501(c) Non Profit
organization. Our Federal Tax number is 38-6005986. These donations can be offset against
your federal and sometimes your state tax return (U.S. tax payers only). For more
information visit the IRS Web-Site, or contact your financial advisor.
Many companies also offer a gift matching program, such that they will match any gift
you make to a non-profit organization. Normally this entails your contacting your human
resources department and sending us a form that the EMU Foundation fills in and returns
to your employer. This is generally a simple administrative procedure that doubles the
value of your gift to LINGUIST, without costing you an extra penny. Please take a moment
to check if your company operates such a program.
Thank you very much for your support of LINGUIST!
Respond to list|Read more issues|LINGUIST home page|Top of issue