LINGUIST List 18.3543|
Tue Nov 27 2007
Jobs: Applied Linguistics: Associate Professor, Deakin University
Editor for this issue: Catherine Adams
The LINGUIST List strongly encourages employers to use
non-discriminatory standards in hiring policy. In particular we urge
that employers do not discriminate on the grounds of race, ethnicity,
nationality, age, religion, gender, or sexual orientation. However, we
have no means of enforcing these standards.
Job seekers should pay special attention to language in ads regarding
employment requirements and are encouraged to consult our international
employment page at http://linguistlist.org/jobs/jobnet.html. This page has been
set up so that people can report on the employment standards of various countries.
To post to LINGUIST, use our convenient web form at
Applied Linguistics: Associate Professor, Deakin University, Melbourne, Australia
Message 1: Applied Linguistics: Associate Professor, Deakin University, Melbourne, Australia
From: Zosia Golebiowski <zosiadeakin.edu.au>
Subject: Applied Linguistics: Associate Professor, Deakin University, Melbourne, Australia
E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: Deakin University
Department: Faculty of Arts and Education
Web Address: http://www.deakin.edu.au/hr/employment/academic.php
Job Rank: Associate Professor
Specialty Areas: Applied Linguistics
- The provision of academic leadership in the field of TESOL.
- Program / course development, maintenance and delivery, ensuring
relevance and curriculum quality.
- Teaching, research, scholarly publication and the generation of research
- The ongoing development of the School and Faculty, including development
through the establishment and nurturing of industry links, partnerships and
local and international recruitment.
- Supervising postgraduate students.
The TESOL area within the School of Education contributes to undergraduate
and postgraduate pre-service education courses, offers a Master of TESOL,
provides doctoral supervision to local and international students, and has
important commitments in offshore courses and partnerships. The School of
Education is seeking a high profile, senior academic to provide outstanding
academic and research leadership and to expand the international
partnerships drawing upon the experience and expertise of its TESOL team.
In addition to relevant expertise in Applied Linguistics and/or TESOL,
applicants should have an interest in the linguistic, cultural, and
educational implications of teaching English in countries where English is
not the dominant language.
Teaching and Learning
- Lead and make an outstanding contribution to the Faculty's postgraduate
and undergraduate programs.
- Undertake teaching related duties.
- Develop innovative academic programs and flexible-delivery course materials.
- Supervise HDR students.
- Make an outstanding contribution to research and scholarly publication.
- Develop collaborative research projects.
- Secure external research funding through both competitive grants and
- Attain recognition at a national and international level in TESOL and /or
- Contribute to the management of research, teaching and learning programs.
- Provide leadership in teaching, research and/or professional activities
relevant to TESOL.
- Develop and strengthen links with professional groups within Australia
- Actively contribute to the governance and collegial life of the University.
- Perform administrative tasks commensurate with position responsibilities.
- Contribute to local and international student recruitment strategies.
- Professional advocacy and leadership in the profession.
- PhD in TESOL / Applied Linguistics.
Knowledge and Skills
- Highly developed leadership skills.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Ability to develop partnerships with professional associations and with
domestic and overseas educational institutions and industry.
- Ability to build an effective team.
- Development and delivery of university teaching and learning principles
- Experience in teaching international students.
- A record of excellent achievement in teaching and supervision in TESOL
and/or applied linguistics.
- Significant experience in the development and delivery of university
teaching and learning.
- Extensive experience as a productive member of a research team.
- A track record of publication in high quality international journals.
- A successful track record in winning nationally competitive and/or
industry research funding.
- Extensive experience of university systems and decision making processes.
- Efficient administration of academic programs.
Application Deadline: 05-Dec-2007
Web Address for Applications: http://www.deakin.edu.au/hr/employment/academic.php
Prof Chris Bigum
Phone: 61 3 5227 2654
Fax: 61 3 5227 2433
Read more issues|LINGUIST home page|Top of issue
Please report any bad links or misclassified data
LINGUIST Homepage | Read
LINGUIST | Contact us
While the LINGUIST List makes every effort to ensure the linguistic relevance of sites listed
on its pages, it cannot vouch for their contents.