LINGUIST List 18.735|
Fri Mar 09 2007
Jobs: English Linguistics: Biomedical NLP Engineer, Ingenuity Systems
Editor for this issue: Catherine Adams
The LINGUIST List strongly encourages employers to use
non-discriminatory standards in hiring policy. In particular we urge
that employers do not discriminate on the grounds of race, ethnicity,
nationality, age, religion, gender, or sexual orientation. However, we
have no means of enforcing these standards.
Job seekers should pay special attention to language in ads regarding
employment requirements and are encouraged to consult our international
employment page at http://linguistlist.org/jobs/jobnet.html. This page has been
set up so that people can report on the employment standards of various countries.
To post to LINGUIST, use our convenient web form at
English Linguistics: Biomedical NLP Engineer, Ingenuity Systems, Redwood City, CA, USA
Message 1: English Linguistics: Biomedical NLP Engineer, Ingenuity Systems, Redwood City, CA, USA
From: Danelle Blondin <dblondiningenuity.com>
Subject: English Linguistics: Biomedical NLP Engineer, Ingenuity Systems, Redwood City, CA, USA
Organization: Ingenuity Systems
Web Address: http://www.ingenuity.com
Job Rank: Biomedical NLP Engineer
Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics
Required Language(s): English (eng)
Ingenuity is a group of creative, energetic, motivated people helping life
science researchers understand biological mechanisms. We deliver systems biology
expertise to biologists and bioinformaticians through pathways analysis
software, genome-scale computable network datasets, search and visualization
tools, knowledge management services, and our enterprise semantic technology
infrastructure, resulting in increased R productivity and faster drugs to
market. We are passionate about our users, our products, and our technology, and
are dedicated to providing scientific researchers with the knowledge required to
make Better Decisions Faster (TM).
Position Description :
Ingenuity is looking for intelligent and talented developers to join our
technical team. In this position, you will be responsible for leading the
development of several core software components that will become part of our
semantic search technology platform.
You will report directly to the CTO and work closely with all members of our
talented and experienced technical and scientific team. In this position, you
will be responsible for all aspects of linguistic software development,
including architecture, design, coding, documentation, QA, deployment and
management. Additionally, since you will be working on key components of our
core technology platform, you will have the unique opportunity to significantly
impact the success of our products and company.
The ideal candidate for this position will possess a strong understanding
of computational linguistic fundamentals, particularly in NLP, Information
Retrieval and Information Extraction methods, have a strong track record for
applying these techniques in medicine, biology and genomics, and be able
to solve complex new engineering problems in these areas. Experience with search
engine architectures, large-scale ontologies, and semantic web
technology development is a strong plus. However, a strong technical acumen
is more important than immediately relevant experience. The qualified candidate
can expect a high-profile position on a great team with many challenges and rewards.
Education, Skills & Experience REQUIRED:
- Natural language processing experience, particularly computational linguistics
and knowledge-based NLP.
- Training in lexical semantics (syntax, morphology, semantics, etc).
- Experience in applying NLP and IR techniques to medicine, biology and genomics
information, including entity recognition, fact extraction, and
- Demonstrated knowledge of current research trends, techniques and in IR
and NLP as applied to biomedicine.
- Experience or demonstrated knowledge of machine learning techniques,
particularly as related to statistical natural language processing.
- Must be familiar with Semantic Web concepts, including ontologies, knowledge
representation and reasoning.
- Strong programming skills in Java and Python, with a focus on high-performance
text and linguistic processing.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills.
Education, Skills DESIRED:
- Specific experience working with MeSH, UMLS, Gene Ontology, and other
- Knowledge of language / writing conventions in the life sciences and what
makes them different from other fields.
- Participation in BioCreative, TREC or SIGIR a strong plus.
- Experience with natural language generation and summarization approaches.
- Experience developing with formal ontologies and controlled vocabularies.
- Research background and publications in refereed conferences is a plus.
- Experience with search engine and data mining technologies and architectures a
- Experience with frame-based knowledge-representation and systems such as
- Knowledge of Scrum and XP methodologies.
Application Deadline: (Open until filled)
Email Address for Applications: dblondiningenuity.com
HR Assistant Danelle Blondin
Respond to list|Read more issues|LINGUIST home page|Top of issue
Please report any bad links or misclassified data
LINGUIST Homepage | Read
LINGUIST | Contact us
While the LINGUIST List makes every effort to ensure the linguistic relevance of sites listed
on its pages, it cannot vouch for their contents.