LINGUIST List 19.1455|
Wed Apr 30 2008
Jobs: General Linguistics: Linguist/Project Manager, Sensory, Inc.
Editor for this issue: Luiza Newlin Lukowicz
The LINGUIST List strongly encourages employers to use
non-discriminatory standards in hiring policy. In particular we urge
that employers do not discriminate on the grounds of race, ethnicity,
nationality, age, religion, gender, or sexual orientation. However, we
have no means of enforcing these standards.
Job seekers should pay special attention to language in ads regarding
employment requirements and are encouraged to consult our international
employment page at http://linguistlist.org/jobs/jobnet.html. This page has been
set up so that people can report on the employment standards of various countries.
To post to LINGUIST, use our convenient web form at
General Linguistics: Linguist/Project Manager, Sensory, Inc., Sunnyvale, CA, USA
Message 1: General Linguistics: Linguist/Project Manager, Sensory, Inc., Sunnyvale, CA, USA
From: MIna Wong <mwongsensoryinc.com>
Subject: General Linguistics: Linguist/Project Manager, Sensory, Inc., Sunnyvale, CA, USA
E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: Sensory, Inc.
Department: Linguistics/Project Mgmt
Job Location: California, USA
Web Address: http://www.sensoryinc.com
Job Rank: Linguist/Project Manager
Specialty Areas: General Linguistics
Seeking Linguist with project management skills. Must be business oriented,
able to juggle multiple projects and priorities, and be very organized.
Must be a fast learner with keen interest in phonetics, phonology and
- Serve as a primary contact for customer projects.
- Keep detailed records and reports.
- Take responsibility for resolving project issues as they arise. Schedule
and/or attend conference calls with international partners.
- Work with with US and international partners to deliver project
deliverables on schedule.
- Work with Sensory engineers to deliver internal project deliverables on
- Create and/or review product flowcharts.
- Develop and test SI recognition sets/speech synthesis for customer projects.
- Recruit participants for QA testing of customer and internal products.
- Recruit and record participants for data collection projects/and or
- Test and review customer products throughout lifecycle.
- Assist with QA testing of Sensory's QT2SI (Quick
Text-to-Speaker-Independent) recognition tool / provide feedback and bug
reports to Engineering.
- Perform phonetic/phonological analysis for ASR & TTS engines such as
identifying language specific phonological rules and inventories.
- Research and acquire resources needed to develop ASR & TTS engines.
(Identify existing databases for ASR training use and negotiate terms and
agreements with source.)
- Research and prepare lexicons for new planned languages (includes writing
phonology rules for adults and children, mapping SAMPA/DARPAbet/IPA
transcriptions to WorldBet, correcting and converting phonemic
transcriptions to phonetic realizations, etc.)
Requirements and Preferences:
- 1-5 years total job experience with demonstrated interest in linguistics,
and project/product management
- Fluency in at least one foreign language.
- Excellent understanding of phonological and phonetic concepts. Computer
literate (windows, DOS) and experience with Microsoft applications.
- Audio editing experience a plus - (using tools such as Adobe Audition,
Peak, Sound Forge, etc.).
- B.A./B.S. in Linguist required; M.A in Linguistics preferred
Application Deadline: Open until filled.
Mailing Address for Applications:
575 N. Pastoria Ave.
Sunnyvale, US 94062
Email Address for Applications: jobssensoryinc.com
Read more issues|LINGUIST home page|Top of issue
Please report any bad links or misclassified data
LINGUIST Homepage | Read
LINGUIST | Contact us
While the LINGUIST List makes every effort to ensure the linguistic relevance of sites listed
on its pages, it cannot vouch for their contents.