LINGUIST List 19.1538|
Sun May 11 2008
Jobs: Wiyot & Applied Linguistics: Manager, Wiyot Tribe
Editor for this issue: Bethany Townsend
The LINGUIST List strongly encourages employers to use
non-discriminatory standards in hiring policy. In particular we urge
that employers do not discriminate on the grounds of race, ethnicity,
nationality, age, religion, gender, or sexual orientation. However, we
have no means of enforcing these standards.
Job seekers should pay special attention to language in ads regarding
employment requirements and are encouraged to consult our international
employment page at http://linguistlist.org/jobs/jobnet.html. This page has been
set up so that people can report on the employment standards of various countries.
To post to LINGUIST, use our convenient web form at
Wiyot & Applied Linguistics: Manager, Wiyot Tribe, CA, USA
Message 1: Wiyot & Applied Linguistics: Manager, Wiyot Tribe, CA, USA
From: Helene Rouvier <culturalwiyot.us>
Subject: Wiyot & Applied Linguistics: Manager, Wiyot Tribe, CA, USA
E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: Wiyot Tribe
Job Location: California, USA
Web Address: http://wiyot.us
Job Rank: Manager
Specialty Areas: Applied Linguistics; Native American Languages
Required Language(s): Wiyot (wiy)
Position Title: Language Project Manager
Under the supervision of the Cultural Director, the Language Project
Manager is responsible for the Wiyot Tribe Language Program. This includes
overseeing the compiling, organizing, disseminating, creating, and teaching
of Sulótalak, the Wiyot traditional language. This also encompasses
contemporary uses of Sulótalak, recognizing that language, as culture, is
living and dynamic.
The Project Manager will be required to have knowledge of language
revitalization, linguistic resources, and a strong knowledge of the tribe's
culture and history. However, the Tribe recognizes that the recovery of a
language without living speakers requires both commitment and specialized
skills/training. Therefore, the language coordinator must also solicit
- Compile, organize, and inventory all known Wiyot language materials.
These will be housed in the Cultural Department. Duplicate copies will be
housed in the Wiyot archives.
- Oversee the construction of a Wiyot grammar and dictionary.
- Prepare curriculum and individual lesson plans
- Develop and maintain associated materials - newsletter articles,
signage, handouts, prayers, etc.
- Develop and update information on language program for inclusion on the
- Conduct or facilitate presentations of regularly scheduled language
classes; develop timeline and present or oversee longer workshops and
immersion programs when appropriate.
- Coordinate with other tribal programs and departments to integrate
language into activities
- Chair the Language Committee, present committee report to council monthly
- Consult with language revitalization programs and professional
linguistic resources when available; integrate into Sulótalak program when
- Write grants as appropriate to fund language program and special projects
- Passionate about language revitalization and future success
- Must be organized and able to communicate effectively
- Computer and grant writing skills
- Sensitive to cultural issues and confidentiality
- Ability to work effectively with Tribal members and others of Wiyot
- Ability to solicit and work with outside resources, which include but
are not limited to academic university level linguistics programs,
effective Tribal language revitalization programs, and global indigenous
- Willingness to travel, scheduling flexibility
- Tribal preference is given to members of the Wiyot Tribe
- Bachelors or Masters Degree in related field or a combination of life
experience, knowledge, and/or education to perform diverse duties and meet
the job requirements as stated.
Work will be performed at the Table Bluff Reservation Tribal Offices, and
at other locations as required. Travel and training may be included. The
position requires consultation and collaboration with outside resources.
Wage commensurate with experience; hours to be negotiated.
For information and application please go to the Wiyot website.
Application Deadline: Open until filled.
This position has been filled.
Read more issues|LINGUIST home page|Top of issue
Please report any bad links or misclassified data
LINGUIST Homepage | Read
LINGUIST | Contact us
While the LINGUIST List makes every effort to ensure the linguistic relevance of sites listed
on its pages, it cannot vouch for their contents.