LINGUIST List 19.2219|
Sat Jul 12 2008
Jobs: Various Languages & Speech Recognition, NLP: Programmer, AppTek
Editor for this issue: Bethany Townsend
The LINGUIST List strongly encourages employers to use
non-discriminatory standards in hiring policy. In particular we urge
that employers do not discriminate on the grounds of race, ethnicity,
nationality, age, religion, gender, or sexual orientation. However, we
have no means of enforcing these standards.
Job seekers should pay special attention to language in ads regarding
employment requirements and are encouraged to consult our international
employment page at http://linguistlist.org/jobs/jobnet.html. This page has been
set up so that people can report on the employment standards of various countries.
To post to LINGUIST, use our convenient web form at
Various Languages & Speech Recognition, NLP: Programmer, AppTek, McLean, VA, USA
Message 1: Various Languages & Speech Recognition, NLP: Programmer, AppTek, McLean, VA, USA
From: mike veronis <jobsapptek.com>
Subject: Various Languages & Speech Recognition, NLP: Programmer, AppTek, McLean, VA, USA
E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: AppTek
Job Location: Virginia, USA
Web Address: http://www.apptek.com
Job Rank: Programmer
Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics; Speech Recognition, Natural Language Processing
Required Language(s): Arabic, Standard (arb)
Chinese, Mandarin (cmn)
Pashto, Southern (pbt)
Pashto, Northern (pbu)
Farsi, Eastern (prs)
Applications Technology, Inc. (AppTek) is a dynamic, fast-growing software
company in the Washington, DC metro area. AppTek has been working in human
language technology since 1990 and we are one of the leading companies in
the field of Machine Translation (MT) and Automated Speech Recognition
(ASR). AppTek provides technologies like speech recognition, machine
translation, information retrieval, automatic document classification,
automatic text (or speech) summarization, etc.
Since 1996, AppTek's speech recognition team has been working on highly
scalable, state-of-the-art speech recognition systems that run on large
server farms, stand-alone PCs or small, integrated and/or embedded
computers (PDA-class and even DSPs) and for many languages. Application
domains are among others: transcription of broadcast media, telephony
applications (small and large vocabulary, e.g. voice-based search or
voicemail transcription) and microphone-input for speech-to-speech translation.
We have opportunities for Speech Recognition Engineers/Scientists to expand
our technical team.
Job functions include:
- Develop and train acoustic and language models for specific commercial
and research systems.
- Develop models for new languages and application environments.
- Develop and implement speech recognition applications using our
- Develop new algorithms to extend AppTek's speech recognition system,
especially in areas such as non-native speech recognition and embedded
Education and experience desired:
- BS, MS, or PhD in computer science, electrical engineering, mathematics,
- 2+ years of experience building speech recognition applications.
- Strong programming skills in C/C++
- Experience programming with scripting languages (shell scripts, Perl,
- Experience with natural language processing highly desired.
- Experience with XML technologies is a plus.
- Experience with Unix/Linux (shell scripts, bash, cygwin) is a plus.
- Being fluent in another language besides English is a plus.
Other requirements include:
- Proven ability to meet deadlines, prioritize projects, and deliver results.
- Good communication skills.
To apply, send resume and salary requirements to the application email
Application Deadline: Open until filled.
Email Address for Applications: jobsapptek.com
Read more issues|LINGUIST home page|Top of issue
Please report any bad links or misclassified data
LINGUIST Homepage | Read
LINGUIST | Contact us
While the LINGUIST List makes every effort to ensure the linguistic relevance of sites listed
on its pages, it cannot vouch for their contents.