LINGUIST List 19.2606|
Sun Aug 24 2008
Jobs: Various Langs & Applied Ling: Instructor, Monterey Institute
Editor for this issue: Bethany Townsend
The LINGUIST List strongly encourages employers to use
non-discriminatory standards in hiring policy. In particular we urge
that employers do not discriminate on the grounds of race, ethnicity,
nationality, age, religion, gender, or sexual orientation. However, we
have no means of enforcing these standards.
Job seekers should pay special attention to language in ads regarding
employment requirements and are encouraged to consult our international
employment page at http://linguistlist.org/jobs/jobnet.html. This page has been
set up so that people can report on the employment standards of various countries.
To post to LINGUIST, use our convenient web form at
Various Languages & Applied Linguistics: Instructor, Monterey Institute of International Studies, CA, USA
Message 1: Various Languages & Applied Linguistics: Instructor, Monterey Institute of International Studies, CA, USA
From: Ryan Vandergriff
Subject: Various Languages & Applied Linguistics: Instructor, Monterey Institute of International Studies, CA, USA
E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: Monterey Institute of International Studies
Department: International Intensive Language Studies (ILST)
Job Location: California, USA
Web Address: http://miis.interviewexchange.com
Job Rank: Instructor
Specialty Areas: Applied Linguistics
Required Language(s): Arabic, Standard (arb)
Chinese, Mandarin (cmn)
Instructor - Winter Intensive Language Program 2008
Monterey Institute of International Intensive Language Studies (ILST)
Department is looking to hire two instructors for each of the following
languages for the Winter Intensive Language Program (WILP):
This is a part-time, temporary exempt position.
The Winter Intensive Language Program (WILP) provides beginning and
intermediate level language instruction in an intensive format to
approximately 60 undergraduate and graduate students as well as
professionals for two and a half weeks every winter.
Under supervision of the Language Program Coordinator and the WILP
Director, language instructors provide intensive instruction in a
communicative format with a focus on authentic materials for the Winter
Intensive Language Program.
- Teaches assigned language and level half or full-time
- Collaborates with the language program coordinator, other instructors and
teaching assistant to provide integration between curricular and
extra-curricular programming as well as cultural relevance
- Prepares comprehensive syllabus including course description, objectives
and material as well as assessment guidelines for students
- Prepares classes and provides instruction focusing on communicative
language teaching and use of authentic materials
- Adjusts intensity of program as needed in collaboration with language
- Keeps track of student progress by regularly implementing assessment
mechanisms and completing grade reports as requested.
- Master's degree or PhD in language, language teaching or related field
- 2+ years of previous language teaching experience
- Native or near-native language ability
- Previous experience teaching in intensive program preferred
- Excellent teaching and interpersonal communication skills
- Familiarity with communicative teaching practices and use of authentic
materials to teach foreign language
- Proven dedication to excellence in language teaching
- Willingness and ability to become acquainted and comply with SILP
processes and regulations as well as Institute policies.
- The Monterey Institute maintains a smoke-free/drug-free workplace
- Curriculum Vitae detailing all relevant teaching and language experience
- Evidence of teaching expertise (i.e., teaching demo, student evaluations,
teaching materials, letter(s) of recommendation, etc.)
To apply, go to:
Copyright (c) 2008 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the free value-added recruitment advertising agency
Application Deadline: Open until filled.
Web Address for Applications: http://miis.interviewexchange.com
Read more issues|LINGUIST home page|Top of issue
Please report any bad links or misclassified data
LINGUIST Homepage | Read
LINGUIST | Contact us
While the LINGUIST List makes every effort to ensure the linguistic relevance of sites listed
on its pages, it cannot vouch for their contents.