LINGUIST List 19.632|
Mon Feb 25 2008
Jobs: Chinese, Mandarin & Comp Ling: Computational Linguist, Janya Inc.
Editor for this issue: Luiza Newlin Lukowicz
The LINGUIST List strongly encourages employers to use
non-discriminatory standards in hiring policy. In particular we urge
that employers do not discriminate on the grounds of race, ethnicity,
nationality, age, religion, gender, or sexual orientation. However, we
have no means of enforcing these standards.
Job seekers should pay special attention to language in ads regarding
employment requirements and are encouraged to consult our international
employment page at http://linguistlist.org/jobs/jobnet.html. This page has been
set up so that people can report on the employment standards of various countries.
To post to LINGUIST, use our convenient web form at
Chinese, Mandarin & Computational Linguistics: Computational Linguist, Janya Inc., Buffalo, NY, USA
Message 1: Chinese, Mandarin & Computational Linguistics: Computational Linguist, Janya Inc., Buffalo, NY, USA
From: Linda Stievater <lindasjanyainc.com>
Subject: Chinese, Mandarin & Computational Linguistics: Computational Linguist, Janya Inc., Buffalo, NY, USA
E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: Janya Inc.
Job Location: New York, USA
Web Address: http://www.janyainc.com
Job Rank: Computational Linguist
Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics
Required Language(s): Chinese, Mandarin (cmn)
Janya, a leader in natural language processing applications, offers
products and solutions based on its text analytics technology for DoD,
intelligence, law enforcement communities, and other government markets.
Janya is located in suburban Buffalo, New York State, USA, in the
technology corridor adjoining the State University of New York at Buffalo
Scope: Primarily responsible for development and/or acquisition of
linguistic resources for Chinese, such as lexicons, grammars, and corpora,
that are needed for text analytics solutions in this language. Also
responsible, collaboratively, for the integration of these resources into
natural language processing (NLP) technology involving finite-state
technology and/or machine learning.
Reporting Relationship: Reports directly to the NLP Manager.
- Perform all steps in development and/or acquisition of Chinese linguistic
- Provide application level support for Chinese linguistic resources.
- Work independently or as part of a team to complete moderately complex
projects or segments of a larger project.
- Responsible for documenting work as well as reporting or coordinating
efforts with management and other team members.
- Ability to perform linguistic data analysis.
- Ability to write computational grammars and lexicons.
- Reading fluency in Mandarin Chinese, preferably simplified Chinese.
- Proficiency in one or more scripting languages (Perl, Python, Ruby) or
programming languages, particularly C++, is a plus.
- MS or PhD in Computational Linguistics or related field.
- Hands-on experience in development and/or acquisition and use of
linguistic resources for Chinese.
- Work experience in production-quality NLP systems.
- Familiarity with Unix/Linux operating system environment is a plus.
- Experience in machine learning, information retrieval, or data mining are
Candidates should be eligible to work in the US. Salary will be
commensurate with education and experience. Janya offers a generous
benefits package that includes health insurance, 401(k) plan, and vacation
Please email resume with references to the e-mail below.
Application Deadline: Open until filled.
Email Address for Applications: careersjanyainc.com
Read more issues|LINGUIST home page|Top of issue
Please report any bad links or misclassified data
LINGUIST Homepage | Read
LINGUIST | Contact us
While the LINGUIST List makes every effort to ensure the linguistic relevance of sites listed
on its pages, it cannot vouch for their contents.