LINGUIST List 20.2642|
Wed Jul 29 2009
Jobs: English & Lexicography/Lang Acq/Semantics: Consultant, Start-up
Editor for this issue: Bethany Townsend
The LINGUIST List strongly encourages employers to use
non-discriminatory standards in hiring policy. In particular we urge
that employers do not discriminate on the grounds of race, ethnicity,
nationality, age, religion, gender, or sexual orientation. However, we
have no means of enforcing these standards.
Job seekers should pay special attention to language in ads regarding
employment requirements and are encouraged to consult our international
employment page at http://linguistlist.org/jobs/jobnet.html. This page has been
set up so that people can report on the employment standards of various countries.
To post to LINGUIST, use our convenient web form at
English & Lexicography, Language Acquisition, Semantics: Consultant, Start-up Company, Telecommute/San Francisco Bay, CA, USA
Message 1: English & Lexicography, Language Acquisition, Semantics: Consultant, Start-up Company, Telecommute/San Francisco Bay, CA, USA
From: Wes Christensen <wesdrillsgt.com>
Subject: English & Lexicography, Language Acquisition, Semantics: Consultant, Start-up Company, Telecommute/San Francisco Bay, CA, USA
E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: Start-up Company
Job Location: California, USA
Job Rank: Consultant
Specialty Areas: Language Acquisition; Lexicography; Semantics
Required Language(s): English (eng)
Experienced lexicographer / linguist to consult with start-up company
developing an electronic flashcard approach to building a rich, fluent, and
durable English vocabulary. Aimed at native speakers initially, with plans
to expand to ESL and other languages.
Responsibility is to evaluate the current implementation from a linguistic
perspective and advise the developers on how to improve it in the following
- Compiling appropriate word lists.
- Ordering the words using reliable measures of difficulty and/or
commonality (frequency of use).
- Assessing each user's current vocabulary level.
- Identifying the senses, inflected forms, variants, and cognates for each
word and their relative importance or significance.
- Obtaining accurate and usable definitions and usage examples for each sense.
- Differentiating shadings of meaning, including making use of synset
networks such as Princeton University's WordNet.
- Obtaining derivative language constructs such as idioms, jargon, catch
phrases, slang, and clichés.
- Incorporating dialectal and regional differences.
- Ensuring compliance with copyright laws and assisting in acquiring usage
- Devising and evaluating learning strategies in an online, interactive
- Evaluating user interfaces to stimulate interest and facilitate learning.
- Evaluating supplementary learning devices such as mnemonics, heuristic
devices, graphics, illustrations, humor, games, puzzles, and contests.
- Finding and training research assistants and data entry people.
Skills, Training, and Experience:
- Advanced degree or extensive experience in lexicography and building
dictionaries, especially online, interactive dictionaries.
- Experience in rote learning concepts.
- Experience in interactive, dynamic, self-directed, self-paced learning
- Understanding of computer systems and technology
- An interest in adapting technology to learning and language acquisition.
This is to be an ongoing assignment. If the company is successful, there
will be opportunities for additional work and possible employment. The
company is open to exploring ways to incorporate the work into graduate or
Please submit a resume electronically (email attachment). Finalists will be
asked to submit at least three relevant references.
Most of the work can be done remotely (not on site). Some preference will
be given to local candidates or who can come to the Bay Area periodically.
Compensation on an hourly basis. Hours are flexible, but will vary and are
difficult to predict. The hourly rate is commensurate with education and
experience. The work will be a combination of direct consultation,
independent research, evaluating existing solutions, and proposing
alternative approaches and enhancements.
Applicants must be able to sign an assignment of intellectual property
agreement covering the output of this work and show proof of authorization
to work in the US.
We are building a first class educational system built on sound linguistic
principles and methodologies. If you want to be part of an innovative
approach to language acquisition in a dynamic, online, interactive
environment, send in a resume.
Application Deadline: This position has been filled.
Read more issues|LINGUIST home page|Top of issue
Please report any bad links or misclassified data
LINGUIST Homepage | Read
LINGUIST | Contact us
While the LINGUIST List makes every effort to ensure the linguistic relevance of sites listed
on its pages, it cannot vouch for their contents.