LINGUIST List 20.3214|
Wed Sep 23 2009
Jobs: English, Natural Lang Processing: Programmer, U of Minnesota
Editor for this issue: Erica Wicks
The LINGUIST List strongly encourages employers to use
non-discriminatory standards in hiring policy. In particular we urge
that employers do not discriminate on the grounds of race, ethnicity,
nationality, age, religion, gender, or sexual orientation. However, we
have no means of enforcing these standards.
Job seekers should pay special attention to language in ads regarding
employment requirements and are encouraged to consult our international
employment page at http://linguistlist.org/jobs/jobnet.html. This page has been
set up so that people can report on the employment standards of various countries.
To post to LINGUIST, use our convenient web form at
English & Natural Language Processing: Programmer / Research Programmer, University of Minnesota, USA
Message 1: English & Natural Language Processing: Programmer / Research Programmer, University of Minnesota, USA
From: Genevieve Melton-Meaux <gmeltonumn.edu>
Subject: English & Natural Language Processing: Programmer / Research Programmer, University of Minnesota, USA
E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: University of Minnesota
Department: Institute for Health Informatics
Job Location: Minnesota, USA
Job Rank: Programmer
Specialty Areas: Natural Language Processing
Required Language(s): English (eng)
The University of Minnesota, Institute for Health Informatics seeks to hire
a Research Programmer/Analyst for our group. Individual to be involved with
projects utilizing large, complex healthcare datasets, biomedical
ontologies, medical text-mining, and other informatics tools.
1) Design, build, implement, and maintain applications and research
datasets for health informatics research.
2) Medical textmining and other datamining and statistical techniques.
3) Responsible for all aspects of system implementation cycle, including
developing code and scripts, testing and debugging, executing and analyzing
software, and maintaining applications
4) Designing and populating online content, tools, and services for data
collection, on-line forms, and data reports/analysis
5) Assist with server maintenance as needed for software upgrades and
6) Support and provide data analytical services including statistical
analysis for research.
7) Manage and delegate research projects.
8) Strong administrative skills and detail orientation, keeping projects on
1) Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related technical discipline
AND four years of progressive experience in a variety of analytic, computer
science, and information technology areas related to the job duties as
2) Background or coursework in biomedical informatics and biostatistics.
3) Strong interest or experience with medicine, healthcare, or biology.
4) Demonstrate proficiency with relational databases (e.g. MySQL, SQL) and
operating systems (particularly Unix or Linux, including shell scripting)
5) Significant experience with Perl or scripting language for text
6) Significant experience creating and formatting reports using XML data
7) Experience with Web-based application development for creation and
maintenance of online content and tools for data collection and analysis.
8) Strong analytical skills with statistical, mathematical, or engineering
analytic background. Experience with or an ability to learn a number of
9) Familiarity or experience with ontologies, text-mining/natural language
processing, and datamining techniques.
10) Strong troubleshooting and problem solving skills.
11) Strong oral and written communication skills.
12) Experience with managing large projects and administration of projects.
13) Ability to document code clearly and comprehensively.
14) Ability to work well within a team and to function independently.
Apply online: https://employment.umn.edu
JOB REQUISITION NUMBER: 163269
Position opened until filled.
Application Deadline: Open until filled.
Web Address for Applications: http://employment.umn.edu
Program and Operations Manager Jen Trochinski
Read more issues|LINGUIST home page|Top of issue
Please report any bad links or misclassified data
LINGUIST Homepage | Read
LINGUIST | Contact us
While the LINGUIST List makes every effort to ensure the linguistic relevance of sites listed
on its pages, it cannot vouch for their contents.