LINGUIST List 20.4028|
Tue Nov 24 2009
Jobs: English, General Ling: Contractor, Nuance Communications Inc.
Editor for this issue: Erica Wicks
The LINGUIST List strongly encourages employers to use
non-discriminatory standards in hiring policy. In particular we urge
that employers do not discriminate on the grounds of race, ethnicity,
nationality, age, religion, gender, or sexual orientation. However, we
have no means of enforcing these standards.
Job seekers should pay special attention to language in ads regarding
employment requirements and are encouraged to consult our international
employment page at http://linguistlist.org/jobs/jobnet.html. This page has been
set up so that people can report on the employment standards of various countries.
To post to LINGUIST, use our convenient web form at
English & General Linguistics: Contractor, Nuance Communications Inc.
Message 1: English & General Linguistics: Contractor, Nuance Communications Inc.
From: Alex Hurst <Alexander.Hurstnuance.com>
Subject: English & General Linguistics: Contractor, Nuance Communications Inc.
E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: Nuance Communications Inc.
Department: Dragon R&D Language Modeling
Web Address: http://www.nuance.com
Job Rank: Contractor
Specialty Areas: General Linguistics
Required Language(s): English (eng)
Nuance Communications, Inc., a world-wide leader in speech technology, is
seeking a part-time English language consultant to enhance our language
All work will be done off-site.
- Evaluating design and quality of pronunciation dictionaries
- Merging pronunciation dictionaries
- Evaluating and correcting dictionary entries
- Identifying new entries for general and specialized dictionaries
- Writing phonetic transcriptions for new and existing entries
- Serving as language expert resource for engineers and researchers
- Native or near-native fluency in English
- Completion or near-completion of undergraduate degree in linguistics
- Knowledge of the International Phonetic Alphabet
- Ability to work independently
- Up-to-date computer running Windows
- High-speed home internet connection
- Expertise in medicine, law, or technology
- Knowledge of UNIX
- Familiarity with a text editor such as emacs or vi
- Ability to program in a scripting language (e.g. Perl)
30 hours of work per week for a duration of 3 months is required. Pay is
$22-30 per hour, depending on experience. Equivalent payment in other
currencies, e.g. euros, is also possible.
To apply, please submit your resume or CV and a brief statement describing
your experience and abilities to the email address below. We will consider
only electronic submissions. No phone calls, please.
Application Deadline: 31 December 2009
(The position may be filled before that date if a qualified applicant is
Application Deadline: 31-Dec-2009
Email Address for Applications: lm.linguisticsnuance.com
Read more issues|LINGUIST home page|Top of issue
Please report any bad links or misclassified data
LINGUIST Homepage | Read
LINGUIST | Contact us
While the LINGUIST List makes every effort to ensure the linguistic relevance of sites listed
on its pages, it cannot vouch for their contents.