LINGUIST List 21.4445|
Sat Nov 06 2010
Calls: Morphology, Semantics, Syntax/Spain
Editor for this issue: Di Wdzenczny
LINGUIST is pleased to announce the launch of an exciting new feature: Easy Abstracts! Easy Abs is a free abstract submission and review facility designed to help conference organizers and reviewers accept and process abstracts online. Just go to: http://www.linguistlist.org/confcustom, and begin your conference customization process today! With Easy Abstracts, submission and review will be as easy as 1-2-3!
1. Francisco J. Cortés Rodríguez ,
Meaning Construction at the Crossroads of Grammar, Cognition and Communication
Message 1: Meaning Construction at the Crossroads of Grammar, Cognition and Communication
From: Francisco J. Cortés Rodríguez <fcortesull.es>
Subject: Meaning Construction at the Crossroads of Grammar, Cognition and Communication
E-mail this message to a friend
Full Title: Meaning Construction at the Crossroads of Grammar, Cognition
Date: 08-Sep-2011 - 11-Sep-2011
Location: Logroño (La Rioja), Spain
Contact Person: Francisco J. Cortés Rodríguez
Meeting Email: fcortesull.es
Web Site: http://www.societaslinguistica.eu/
Linguistic Field(s): Morphology; Semantics; Syntax
Call Deadline: 11-Nov-2010
This workshop seeks to host recent work on some of the topics listed below.
The presentations should place emphasis on the value of addressing these
topics from a perspective that integrates different approaches and/or
dimensions of analysis:
- The architecture of the lexicon: proposals for lexical organization
(lexematics, lexical classes and domains, frames, scripts, etc).
- Meaning construction below and above word level: the role of
constructions in Morphology in general, with special focus on word
formation processes, the interaction of constructions and affixes, the
relation between word internal and word external syntax, etc. Meaning
construction above the word level: from phrasal syntax to texts.
- The nature of semantic representations: Cognitive modeling, primes,
logical and/or event structures, qualia, etc.
- The interaction between lexical units and constructions: the (non-)
existence and nature of a lexicon-grammar continuum, lexical-constructional
fusion, semantic and grammatical coercion, etc.
- Layers of meaning and layers of grammar: layering proposals in functional
models vs. form-meaning pairings.
- Whether linguistic processes attested in one domain of linguistic inquiry
are active-and, if so, to what extent--in other domains (cf. the equipollence
hypothesis in the Lexical Constructional Model).
- The explanatory value of postulating semantic and/or pragmatic
dimensions of meaning, with special emphasis on the communicative
function(s) of lexical items and the constructions with which they fuse.
- Principles and constraints in meaning construction and interpretation: e.g.
conceptual compatibility between lexical and constructional structure,
metaphor and metonymy as possible constraining factors on grammar.
Call For Papers
- All presentations will be 20 minutes plus a 10 minute question time.
- Interested researchers in taking part in this workshop are kindly invited to
contact Francisco J. Cortés-Rodríguez (fcortesull.es) with their name,
affiliation and a provisional abstract (max. 200 words) by 11 November
- If the present workshop proposal is accepted (the date of notification being
15th December 2010), abstracts should be submitted to SLE' conference
website (http: //sle2011.cilap.es/) by 15 January 2011.
Francisco J. Cortés Rodríguez
Departamento de Filología Inglesa y Alemana
Facultad de Filología. Campus de Guajara s/n
Universidad de La Laguna
38071 La Laguna-Tenerife
(+34)922316502 ext. 7653
Read more issues|LINGUIST home page|Top of issue
Page Updated: 06-Nov-2010
While the LINGUIST List makes every effort to ensure the linguistic relevance of sites listed
on its pages, it cannot vouch for their contents.