LINGUIST List 21.4763|
Fri Nov 26 2010
Calls: Discipline of Linguistics, Ling & Literature/Hong Kong
Editor for this issue: Di Wdzenczny
LINGUIST is pleased to announce the launch of an exciting new feature: Easy Abstracts! Easy Abs is a free abstract submission and review facility designed to help conference organizers and reviewers accept and process abstracts online. Just go to: http://www.linguistlist.org/confcustom, and begin your conference customization process today! With Easy Abstracts, submission and review will be as easy as 1-2-3!
1. Catherine Law ,
st Conference on Applying (Putonghua/English) Language Arts
Message 1: st Conference on Applying (Putonghua/English) Language Arts
From: Catherine Law <egapelainet.polyu.edu.hk>
Subject: st Conference on Applying (Putonghua/English) Language Arts
E-mail this message to a friend
Full Title: 1st Conference on Applying (Putonghua / English) Language Arts
Short Title: APELA
Date: 04-Jun-2011 - 05-Jun-2011
Location: Kowloon, Hong Kong
Contact Person: Catherine Law
Meeting Email: egapelainet.polyu.edu.hk
Linguistic Field(s): Discipline of Linguistics; Ling & Literature
Call Deadline: 31-Jan-2011
Rapprochement between linguistics and language studies, and the more
traditional literary studies is a global trend which includes Hong Kong as
well as many other parts of the world. This rapprochement is underway in
both academic circles and in the classroom, bringing with it many of
challenges in research, teaching and learning. APELA aims at gathering
professionals and practitioners in the field to explore and rethink these
areas and relations, applications and interpretations in the contemporary
Call For Papers
Language arts in its new form is in part a response to profound changes in
curriculum, and in part a response to similarly profound changes in the
globalised, media-driven cultural contexts of literature. Language arts now
embraces new forms, as new media revisions and represents traditional
literary works. Language and literature have much to offer each other.
These developments are particularly affecting the teaching of English and
Putonghua as second languages.
The 1st Conference on Applying (Putonghua / English) Language Arts
(APELA) invites papers exploring and rethinking these areas and relations,
applications and interpretations in the contemporary context. We encourage
papers adopting a variety of themes, perspectives, and approaches. We
invite papers treating, but not limited to, the following topics:
- contributions of linguistics to the study of literature, and of literature to
the study of linguistics
- language-arts-related academic and action research studies in areas such
as literature, drama, popular culture, and the oral language arts
- specific methods relating to the delivery of language arts in the English
Medium of Instruction classroom
- role-play, scenario and simulation in the classroom
- literature and language-related subjects raised by the use of playable
media and applications as teaching tools, including interactivity, immersivity,
ludology and narrativity in games, MMORPGs, cyberdrama, telephony and
other playable media
- professional challenges and opportunities presented by the new
Language Arts curricula and approaches
Oral presentation: 20 minutes for each oral presentation, plus 10 minutes
Conference Languages: English and Putonghua (Mandarin)
Abstract Submission Deadline: 31 January 2011 (Notices of acceptance will
be sent out by 28 February, 2011.)
1. Abstracts should be written either in English or in Chinese.
2. Each submission should be an abstract of two pages, excluding
Template of the abstract can be downloaded from the website.
3. Format: 1 inch margin using 12 font, Times New Roman (English), ???
? (traditional Chinese), or SimSun (simplified Chinese).
1. Submissions are limited to a maximum of one individual or one joint
abstract per author.
2. Please send two SOFT copies as e-mail attachments to
egapelainet.polyu.edu.hk, one with the title of the paper, name(s) of the
author(s) as well as affiliation(s), and the other without the author's
information. Please name your file the same as the title of your paper.
3. Please list (1) title of the paper, (2) name(s) of the author(s), (3)
affiliation(s), (4) mailing address(es) and (5) email address(es) in the e-mail.
- presenter: HKD 700 early bird - before March 15, 2011, HKD 800 regular -
after March 15, 2011
- attendee: HKD 700 early bird - before March 15, 2011, HKD 800 regular -
after March 15, 2011
- student: HKD 350 early bird - before March 15, 2011, HKD 400 regular -
after March 15, 2011
Fees include lunches and coffee breaks at the conference.
Deadline of Registration: 30 April 2011
Further Enquiries: Dr Christina DeCoursey, Programme Leader, MA in
English Language Arts (Email: egdecourinet.polyu.edu.hk; Tel: (852)
Read more issues|LINGUIST home page|Top of issue
Page Updated: 26-Nov-2010
While the LINGUIST List makes every effort to ensure the linguistic relevance of sites listed
on its pages, it cannot vouch for their contents.