LINGUIST List 21.992|
Sun Feb 28 2010
Jobs: Chinese; Spanish; French & Phonetics: Consultant, Gracenote
Editor for this issue: Christy Bird
The LINGUIST List strongly encourages employers to use non-discriminatory standards in hiring policy. In particular we urge that employers do not discriminate on the grounds of race, ethnicity, nationality, age, religion, gender, or sexual orientation. However, we have no means of enforcing these standards.
Job seekers should pay special attention to language in ads regarding employment requirements and are encouraged to consult our international employment page at http://linguistlist.org/jobs/jobnet.html. This page has been set up so that people can report on the employment standards of various countries.
To post to LINGUIST, use our convenient web form at http://linguistlist.org/posttolinguist.cfm
Chinese; Spanish; French & Phonetics: Consultant, Gracenote
Message 1: Chinese; Spanish; French & Phonetics: Consultant, Gracenote
From: Emily Hoolhorst <ehoolhorstgracenote.com>
Subject: Chinese; Spanish; French & Phonetics: Consultant, Gracenote
E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: Gracenote
Job Location: , ----------------
Web Address: http://www.gracenote.com
Job Rank: Consultant
Specialty Areas: Phonetics
Required Language(s): Chinese, Mandarin (cmn)
GRACENOTE / PHONETICIAN (CONTRACTOR)
Location: Work Remotely
PHONETICIAN - 4-6 Week Contract
(Seeking knowledge of *NATIVE Mandarin Chinese, *NATIVE Canadian French,
Gracenote is a global leader in the space of digital media recognition,
management, enjoyment, and discovery. We are looking for a Phonetician to
help maintain and expand our media-related speech command and control
product (MediaVOCS) for PC, embedded (Consumer Electronics and Mobile) and
on-line platforms, as we continue to expand our current offering, the
MediaVOCS product, into more markets to provide our customers a truly
It is a great opportunity for an expert in linguistics, phonetics and
speech technologies to participate in enhancements to our MediaVOCS product
in an environment that exhibits the pace and energy of a start-up within a
proven and disciplined content and product organization. This individual
will contribute to the content creation and maintenance process that drives
MediaVOCS and work closely with the Content Team and Product Management
Team to ensure that MediaVOCS continues to enable an industry leading
speech-operated user interface.
- Review and edit Gracenote international speech data
- Assist in the maintenance and development of Gracenote's linguistic
processing of speech content
- Interact with Content team to develop standards for content review based
upon analysis of content review.
- Work with Gracenote phonetic experts to improve cross-language processing
Education & Experience
- BS/BA degree in Linguistics, Computer Science or equivalent.
- 1-3 years of experience in speech software solutions or phonetic data
editing is preferred.
Skills & Knowledge
- Seeking knowledge of *NATIVE Mandarin Chinese, *NATIVE Canadian French,
- Understanding and experience with phonetics and phonology
- Fluency in one or more phonetic alphabets such as the International
Phonetic Alphabet (IPA), X-SAMPA, Kirshenbaum, etc.
- Ability to learn phonetic and phonological characteristics for languages
other than English
- Knowledge of foreign languages is a plus.
- Excellent organizational and project management skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Must be able to communicate effectively and authoritatively in the areas
of speech software applications that enable speech-operated command and
control digital music and media. Strong relevant experience is a plus.
- Knowledge of digital music software, Internet services and/or consumer
electronics a plus.
- Professional demeanor, strong presence, and ability to interact with all
levels of personnel within the organization.
- Strong team player that thrives in a rapid-paced and fluid
- Genuine passion for Music, Movies, TV, and the visual arts
Gracenote, a wholly owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation of America, is the
worldwide leader in information services for digital music and media. With
the Corporate office located in Emeryville, California, global offices in
Tokyo, Berlin, Hong Kong, and Seoul, and satellite offices throughout the
US, Gracenote is expanding to make an even greater impact on the digital
For further consideration, please submit your resume to: jobsgracenote.com
Application Deadline: 15-Mar-2010
Email Address for Applications: jobsgracenote.com
Read more issues|LINGUIST home page|Top of issue
Please report any bad links or misclassified data
LINGUIST Homepage | Read
LINGUIST | Contact us
While the LINGUIST List makes every effort to ensure the linguistic relevance of sites listed
on its pages, it cannot vouch for their contents.