From: Karin Jóhanna L. Knudsen <karinjohannalknudsengmail.com>
Subject: Four or More Languages for All: Language Policy Challenges of the Future
E-mail this message to a friend
Four or More Languages for All: Language Policy Challenges of the Future
Date: 22-Aug-2011 - 24-Aug-2011
Location: Tórshavn, Faroe Islands
Contact: Karin Jóhanna L. Knudsen
Contact Email: < click here to access email >
Meeting URL: http://www.socdev.fo/malpolitikk
Linguistic Field(s): Sociolinguistics
Other Specialty: Language Policy
The conference 'Four or More Languages for All: Language Policy Challenges of the Future' - a conference on multilingualism in the Nordic countries - will be held on 22-24 August 2011 in the Nordic House in Tórshavn, the Faroe Islands.
The conference is based on a broad understanding of multilingualism and language policy.
Venue: the Nordic House, Norðari ringvegur - FO-100 Tórshavn -Tlf. (+298)
351351 -Fax (+298) 351350 - E-mail: nlhnlh.fo; webpage: http://www.nlh.fo.
Information about the Faroe Islands: http://www.faroeislands.com/. Information on travel by air to the Faroes: www.atlantic.fo. Information on seaways travel to the Faroes: www.smyril-line.dk.
Please contact the hotel of your preference directly to make your own booking, mentioning the fact that you are a participant in the conference in question: Hotel Føroyar - Tel. (+298) 317500 - Fax (298) 317501 - E-mail: hfhotelforoyar.fo; www.hotelforoyar.fo. Hotel Tórshavn -Tel. (+298) 350000 - E-mail: hthoteltorshavn.fo; www.hoteltorshavn.fo. Hotel Hafnia - Tlf. (+298) 313233 - Fax 315250 - E-mail: hafniahafnia.fo; www.hafnia.fo. Rooms are offered at a negotiated conference rate. Accommodation at a hostel is also an option.
Until 15 April 2011 (date included), DKK 1400 / EUR 187 (students, unemployed and senior citizens DKK 1200 / EUR 160 ).
After 15 April 2011, DKK 1600 / EUR 215 (students, unemployed and senior citizens DKK 1400 / EUR 187).
Fee includes participation, refreshments and lunch during the conference as well as an end-of-conference dinner.
Keynote Speakers are:
- Dr. Carol Benson, Centre for Teaching and Learning, Stockholm University
- Prof. Anne Holmen, Institute of Pedagogy, the Danish School of Education, Aarhus University
- Prof. emeritus Robert Phillipson, Copenhagen Business School
- Prof. Markku Suksi, Department of Law, Åbo Akademi University
- Karin Jóhanna L. Knudsen, karinjsocdev.fo, cand scient.soc., Granskingardepilin fyri Samfelagsmenning (Research Center for Social Development), the University of the Faroe Islands, www.socdev.fo.
- Elisabeth Holm, ehask.fo, cand.phil, MA, The International Office, the University of the Faroe Islands, www.setur.fo
- Sia Spiliopoulou Åkermark, siapeace.ax, Jur. Dr., Associate Professor in international law, director of Åland Islands Peace Institute, www.peace.ax.
- Leena Huss, leena.hussvalentin.uu.se, Professor in Finnish; research fields: multilingualism, language policy, language loss and revitalization, the Hugo Valentin-Centre, Uppsala University.
- Tove Skutnabb-Kangas, skutnabbkangasgmail.com, dr.phil, retired, www.Tove-Skutnabb-Kangas.org, Åbo Akademi University, Vasa, Associate Professor in minority education and linguistic human rights.
Academic Committee, as above, plus:
- Hjalmar Petersen, hjalmar.petersenuni-hamburg.de, dr.phil, Collaborative Research Center: Multilingualism, University of Hamburg.
- Kári á Rógvi, kariarsetur.fo, Jur. Dr., head of faculty, the faculty of history and social studies, the University of the Faroe Islands.
Download programme here: http://www.socdev.fo/pages/malpolitikk_uk/programme.php
Register here: http://www.socdev.fo/pages/malpolitikk_uk/registration.php
Read more on the website: http://www.socdev.fo/pages/malpolitikk_uk.php
The conference is sponsored by the Nordic Council of Ministers, the Nordic Culture Fund and ‘Letterstedska föreningen’.
On behalf of the organisers,
Karin Jóhanna L. Knudsen
Research Center for Social Development
University of Faroe Islands
This Year the LINGUIST List hopes to raise $67,000. This money will go to help
keep the List running by supporting all of our Student Editors for the coming year.
See below for donation instructions, and don't forget to check out Fund
Drive 2011 site!
There are many ways to donate to LINGUIST!
You can donate right now using our secure credit card form at
Alternatively you can also pledge right now and pay later. To do so, go to:
For all information on donating and pledging, including information on how to
donate by check, money order, or wire transfer, please visit:
The LINGUIST List is under the umbrella of Eastern Michigan University and as
such can receive donations through the EMU Foundation, which is a registered
501(c) Non Profit organization. Our Federal Tax number is 38-6005986. These
donations can be offset against your federal and sometimes your state tax return
(U.S. tax payers only). For more information visit the IRS Web-Site, or contact
your financial advisor.
Many companies also offer a gift matching program, such that they will match
any gift you make to a non-profit organization. Normally this entails your
contacting your human resources department and sending us a form that the
EMU Foundation fills in and returns to your employer. This is generally a simple
administrative procedure that doubles the value of your gift to LINGUIST, without
costing you an extra penny. Please take a moment to check if your company
operates such a program.
Thank you very much for your support of LINGUIST!
Read more issues|LINGUIST home page|Top of issue