LINGUIST List 22.2412|
Fri Jun 10 2011
Jobs: Phonetics: Speech Data Project Manager, Word of Mouth
Editor for this issue: Matthew Lahrman
New! Visit LL's Multitree project for over 1000 trees dynamically generated from scholarly hypotheses about language relationships:
The LINGUIST List strongly encourages employers to engage in non-discriminatory hiring practices. We urge employers not to discriminate on the grounds of race, ethnicity, nationality, disability, age, religion, gender, or sexual orientation. However, we have no means of enforcing these standards.
Job seekers should pay special attention to language in ads regarding employment requirements and are encouraged to consult our international employment page at http://linguistlist.org/jobs/jobnet.html. This page has been set up so that people can report on the employment standards of various countries.
To post to LINGUIST, use our convenient web form at http://linguistlist.org/posttolinguist.cfm
1. Fred Mailhot ,
Phonetics, General Linguistics: Speech Data Project Manager, Word Of Mouth
Message 1: Phonetics, General Linguistics: Speech Data Project Manager, Word Of Mouth
From: Fred Mailhot <dataopsmangmail.com>
Subject: Phonetics, General Linguistics: Speech Data Project Manager, Word Of Mouth
E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: Word Of Mouth
Job Location: New York, USA (Telecommute)
Job Rank: Speech Data Project Manager
Specialty Areas: General Linguistics; Phonetics
Word Of Mouth, a speech technology research group, is seeking qualified
candidates to fill the position of Speech Data Project Manager.
The Data Project Manager will conduct and oversee work related to achieving
targeted data output levels and quality for speech projects in US
The candidate will work with and manage a team of Data Evaluators,
participating in text normalization and transcription/lexicon development,
and analyzing/evaluating performance.
The work includes (but is not limited to):
- Semiotic classification/disambiguation work;
- Phonetic transcription;
- Proofreading scripts for voice talent and editing for readability;
- Assisting/mentoring Data Evaluators in above tasks;
- Performing basic text normalization task on a huge amount of text data;
- Working with internal quality control tools according to established
- Native-level speaker of American English (with good command of standard
- must have attended elementary school in target country;
- high level of computer literacy;
- ability to quickly grasp technical concepts;
- advanced degree (PhD or ABD grad student) in Linguistics preferred;
- excellent oral and written communicator;
- previous experience with transcription is a plus;
- previous managerial experience is a big plus;
- proficiency with project management and tracking tools is a plus;
The candidate must be based in NYC. The bulk of the work will be done
remotely, but there will be approximately 1 week of on-site training.
Project duration: 6 months (with potential for extension).
Application Deadline: Open until filled.
Email Address for Applications: dataopsmangmail.com
Read more issues|LINGUIST home page|Top of issue
Page Updated: 10-Jun-2011
While the LINGUIST List makes every effort to ensure the linguistic relevance of sites listed
on its pages, it cannot vouch for their contents.