LINGUIST List 22.2783|
Wed Jul 06 2011
Jobs: English (North America); Phonetics: Consultant, SRI International
Editor for this issue: Christy Bird
The LINGUIST List strongly encourages employers to engage in non-discriminatory hiring practices. We urge employers not to discriminate on the grounds of race, ethnicity, nationality, disability, age, religion, gender, or sexual orientation. However, we have no means of enforcing these standards.
Job seekers should pay special attention to language in ads regarding employment requirements and are encouraged to consult our international employment page at http://linguistlist.org/jobs/jobnet.html. This page has been set up so that people can report on the employment standards of various countries.
To post to LINGUIST, use our convenient web form at http://linguistlist.org/posttolinguist.cfm
1. Colleen Richey ,
English (North America); Phonetics: Consultant, SRI International
Message 1: English (North America); Phonetics: Consultant, SRI International
From: Colleen Richey <colleenspeech.sri.com>
Subject: English (North America); Phonetics: Consultant, SRI International
E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: SRI International
Department: Speech Technology and Research Lab
Job Location: , ----------------
Web Address: http://www.speech.sri.com/
Job Rank: Consultant
Specialty Areas: Phonetics
Required Language(s): English (eng)
Summer Contract for Phoneticians
The Speech Technology and Research Lab at SRI International is seeking
phoneticians who are native speakers of North American English for a
one-time, short-term transcription task.
The following are the specific requirements that need to be met:
- Native speaker of North American English
- Proficient in phonetics, with experience doing phonetic transcription
- Work to begin on or after July 11, 2011, and to be completed by the end
of August, 2011
- Work will be done remotely on contractor's personal computer (Windows
PC, Mac, or Linux)
- Custom Java-based transcription software, required for this task, will
- Must have a quiet environment to work in and high-quality headphones
- Familiarity with Japanese language is a plus
- Broad phonetic transcription (includes judging native/non-nativeness of
phones) of 1200-1500 English sentences read by Japanese speakers
- We estimate approximately 160 hours of work
- Payment will be a flat rate in the approximate range of $5,000-$6,000,
depending on the size of the task
Please send a resume along with a cover letter indicating summer
availability to transcribespeech.sri.com.
Application Deadline: Open until filled.
Email Address for Applications: transcribespeech.sri.com
Read more issues|LINGUIST home page|Top of issue
Page Updated: 06-Jul-2011
While the LINGUIST List makes every effort to ensure the linguistic relevance of sites listed
on its pages, it cannot vouch for their contents.