LINGUIST List 22.733|
Sat Feb 12 2011
Calls: Computational Linguistics/Portugal
Editor for this issue: Amy Brunett
LINGUIST is pleased to announce the launch of an exciting new feature: Easy Abstracts! Easy Abs is a free abstract submission and review facility designed to help conference organizers and reviewers accept and process abstracts online. Just go to: http://www.linguistlist.org/confcustom, and begin your conference customization process today! With Easy Abstracts, submission and review will be as easy as 1-2-3!
1. Joao Graca ,
Lisbon Machine Learning School
Message 1: Lisbon Machine Learning School
From: Joao Graca <gracaninjagmail.com>
Subject: Lisbon Machine Learning School
E-mail this message to a friend
Full Title: Lisbon Machine Learning School
Short Title: LxMLS-2011
Date: 20-Jul-2011 - 25-Jul-2011
Location: Lisboa, Portugal
Contact Person: Joao Graca
Meeting Email: < click here to access email >
Web Site: http://lxmls.it.pt/
Linguistic Field(s): Computational Linguistics
Call Deadline: 31-Mar-2011
The school will cover a range of machine learning (ML) Topics, from theory to practice, that are important in solving natural language processing (NLP) problems that arise in the analysis and use of Web data.
We invite everyone interested in Machine Learning and Natural Language Processing to attend LxMLS 2011, which will take place July 20-25 at Instituto Superior Técnico (IST), a leading Engineering and Science school in Portugal. The summer school is organized jointly by IST, Instituto de Telecomunicações and Spoken Language Systems Lab-L2F. In its debut year, the topic of the school is 'Learning for the Web.'
Topics and Intended Audience:
The school will cover a range of Machine Learning (ML) topics, from theory to practice, that are important in solving Natural Language Processing (NLP) problems that arise in the analysis and use of Web data.
Our target audience is:
* Researchers and graduate students in the fields of NLP and Computational Linguistics;
* Computer scientists who have interests in statistics and machine learning;
* Industry practitioners who desire a more in depth understanding of these subjects.
Features of LxMLS:
* No deep previous knowledge of ML or NLP is assumed;
* Recommended reading will be provided in advance;
* Includes a strong practical component;
* A day zero is scheduled to review basic concepts and introduce the necessary tools for implementation exercises;
* Days will be divided into tutorials and practical sessions (view schedule);
* Both basic and advanced topics will be covered;
* Instructors are leading researchers in machine learning.
List of Speakers:
* Mário Figueiredo - Instituto Superior Técnico, Portugal
* Koby Crammer - Technion, Israel Institute Of Technogly, Israel
* Ben Taskar - University Of Pennsylvania, Usa
* Noah Smith - Carnegie Mellon University, Usa
* Jason Eisner - Johns Hopkins University, Usa
* Xavier Carreras - Universitat Politècnica De Catalunya, Spain
* Fernando Pereira - Google Inc., Usa
Call for Papers:
* Application Deadline: March 31, 2011
* Decision: April 15, 2011
* Early Registration: May 31, 2011
* Summer School: July 20-26, 2011 (right in-between UAI and EMNLP)
Please visit our webpage for up to date information: http://lxmls.it.pt/.
To apply, please send a brief summary of your research interests (maximum 1 page) along with your CV mentioning name, country, and affiliation to: lxmls-2011lx.it.pt.
We are looking forward to your participation!
-The organizers of LxMLS'2011.
Read more issues|LINGUIST home page|Top of issue
Page Updated: 12-Feb-2011
While the LINGUIST List makes every effort to ensure the linguistic relevance of sites listed
on its pages, it cannot vouch for their contents.