LINGUIST List 23.1312|
Thu Mar 15 2012
Jobs: Thai; Comp Ling; Phonetics: Computational Phonetician, Appen Butler Hill
Editor for this issue: Kristen Dunkinson
The LINGUIST List strongly encourages employers to engage in non-discriminatory hiring practices. We urge employers not to discriminate on the grounds of race, ethnicity, nationality, disability, age, religion, gender, or sexual orientation. However, we have no means of enforcing these standards.
Job seekers should pay special attention to language in ads regarding employment requirements and are encouraged to consult our international employment page at http://linguistlist.org/jobs/jobnet.html. This page has been set up so that people can report on the employment standards of various countries.
To post to LINGUIST, use our convenient web form at http://linguistlist.org/posttolinguist.cfm
From: Mandy Iverson <miversonappenbutlerhill.com>
Subject: Thai; Computational Linguistics; Phonetics: Thai Computational Phonetician, Appen Butler Hill
E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: Appen Butler Hill
Job Location: , ----------------
Web Address: http://www.appenbutlerhill.com
Job Rank: Consultant
Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics; Phonetics
Required Language(s): Thai (tha)
Appen Butler Hill is currently looking for a Thai Computational Phonetician for
an upcoming project. The consultant will work remotely for approximately 4
hours per week with occasional peaks of 20 with reasonable advance notice.
The contract is expected to begin soon, and last until 12/31/12.
- Highly skilled in Computational Linguistics or Phonetics (Master's or PhD),
preferably Computational Linguistics.
- Experience in development of language assets of Speech Recognition and
- Familiar with running command-line tools and higher-than-average computer
literacy (ability to use scripting language, such as Perl or Python, is a plus.)
- Availability of at least 4 hours per week with occasional peaks of 20 hours
per week or more ( with reasonable advance notice).
Preferred Skills (Degrees, Skills and Abilities):
- Knowledge of a third language is important.
- Some basic programming and understanding of at least one programming
language, e.g. PERL, Python or C#.
- Knowledge of regular expression (RegEx) use.
- Experience using Visual Studio.
- Creation of Text Normalization (TN) and Inverse Text Normalization (ITN)
- Run simple scripts and work with command-line-based tools.
- Analyze test results and propose solutions.
- Bug management with Product Studio.
Summary of Experience:
- Completed MA or PhD in Computational Linguistics or Phonetics
- Fluent in spoken and written English.
- Experience in language technology, particularly in Speech Processing -
either in academia or industry.
- Knowledge of XML structures.
- Experience with bug management and the software release lifecycle.
- Experience with command-line interfaces.
- Knowledge of the International Phonetic Alphabet.
How to Apply:
Please see the application URL below.
Application Deadline: 30-Mar-2012 (Open until filled)
Web Address for Applications: http://tbe.taleo.net/NA5/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=BUTLERHILL&cws=4&rid=271
Read more issues|LINGUIST home page|Top of issue
Page Updated: 15-Mar-2012
While the LINGUIST List makes every effort to ensure the linguistic relevance of sites listed
on its pages, it cannot vouch for their contents.