LINGUIST List 23.2508|
Tue May 29 2012
Jobs: Lang Acq: Asst Prof, Nagoya U of Commerce and Business (NUCB)
Editor for this issue: Svetlana Tchistiakova
The LINGUIST List strongly encourages employers to engage in non-discriminatory hiring practices. We urge employers not to discriminate on the grounds of race, ethnicity, nationality, disability, age, religion, gender, or sexual orientation. However, we have no means of enforcing these standards.
Job seekers should pay special attention to language in ads regarding employment requirements and are encouraged to consult our international employment page at http://linguistlist.org/jobs/jobnet.html. This page has been set up so that people can report on the employment standards of various countries.
To post to LINGUIST, use our convenient web form at http://linguistlist.org/posttolinguist.cfm
From: Mike Hugh <employmentnucba.ac.jp>
Subject: Language Acquisition: Assistant Professor, Nagoya University of Commerce and Business (NUCB), Nagoya, Aichi Prefecture, Japan
E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: Nagoya University of Commerce and Business (NUCB)
Department: Faculty of Communication
Job Location: Nagoya, Aichi Prefecture, Japan
Web Address: http://www.nucba.ac.jp/en/
Job Rank: Assistant Professor
Specialty Areas: Language Acquisition
Required Language(s): English (eng)
The Nagoya University of Commerce and Business (NUCB) seeks applicants
for Assistant Professor positions in the Faculty of Communication.
Founded in 1953, Nagoya University of Commerce and Business is situated
on an exceptionally beautiful campus in the most economically productive
region of Japan: Nagoya. One of the leading business schools in Japan,
NUCB consistently receives high academic rankings and is strongly
committed to global standards for excellence in scholarship and research. It
is also the only business school in Japan to be accredited by both AACSB
International and AMBA. NUCB comprises of just over 3,500 students and
100 teaching staff. About 30 of the teaching staff are from abroad.
We invite motivated and academically distinguished linguistic scholars and
language instructors to join us in achieving our ambitious goals of our faculty.
We are seeking to fill six positions for the 2012/2013 academic year.
September 1st, 2012.
Duties & responsibilities:
- Teaching responsibilities: 7 classes of 100 minutes per week, focusing on
English language and cross-cultural communication with the aim of increasing
student TOEFL/TOEIC scores.
- Non-teaching responsibilities: maintain office hours, provide additional
support to students, conduct and publish research, and participate in all
official university functions.
- Active participation in curriculum reform and development.
1. A masters degree in applied linguistics or cross-cultural communication
combined with experience of teaching at a higher educational institution.
2. Qualified in and experience of teaching TESOL.
3. Native English proficiency or near-native fluency in English.
In addition to the minimum requirements stated above, the following qualities
1. Experience of living and working in a cultural environment that may be
different from their own.
2. Basic Japanese language ability is a bonus but not essential.
- Two-year renewable contract with a highly competitive salary based on
qualifications and experience.
- Salary scheme includes an additional annual bonus and an end-of-contract
- Holiday in line with normal Japanese university conventions.
- Excellent benefits package including private health insurance.
- Financial and other assistance in relocating to Japan provided if necessary.
Please gather the following application materials:
1. Curriculum vitae including passport-type photo.
2. List of academic and other publications.
3. Letter of recommendation from current/previous academic
4. Proof of degree qualifications, certificates etc.
5. Statement of teaching and research philosophy and goals.
To apply for this position, please assemble all the application materials
detailed above in electronic form, and email them to
Applicants who meet the stated criteria will be contacted immediately upon
receipt and invited for an interview either in person if they are Japan-based, or
by Skype if based overseas.
Application Deadline: 06-Jul-2012 (Open until filled)
Email Address for Applications: employmentnucba.ac.jp
Dr. Mike Hugh
Phone: +81 561 73 2111
Read more issues|LINGUIST home page|Top of issue
Page Updated: 29-May-2012
While the LINGUIST List makes every effort to ensure the linguistic relevance of sites listed
on its pages, it cannot vouch for their contents.