LINGUIST List 23.2586|
Fri Jun 01 2012
Jobs: English; Spanish; General Ling; Phonetics: Speech Linguistic Project Manager, Word of Mouth
Editor for this issue: Sarah Fox
New! Visit LL's Multitree project for over 1000 trees dynamically generated from scholarly hypotheses about language relationships:
The LINGUIST List strongly encourages employers to engage in non-discriminatory hiring practices. We urge employers not to discriminate on the grounds of race, ethnicity, nationality, disability, age, religion, gender, or sexual orientation. However, we have no means of enforcing these standards.
Job seekers should pay special attention to language in ads regarding employment requirements and are encouraged to consult our international employment page at http://linguistlist.org/jobs/jobnet.html. This page has been set up so that people can report on the employment standards of various countries.
To post to LINGUIST, use our convenient web form at http://linguistlist.org/posttolinguist.cfm
From: Aidan Brennan <DataOpsMangmail.com>
Subject: English; Spanish; General Linguistics; Phonetics: Speech Linguistic Project Manager, Word of Mouth, California, USA
E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: Word of Mouth
Department: Data Ops
Job Location: California, USA
Job Rank: Speech Linguistic Project Manager
Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics; General Linguistics; Lexicography; Phonetics; Pronunciation
Required Language(s): English (eng)
Job Title: Speech Linguistic Project Manager (U.S. English or U.S. Spanish)
The Linguistic Project Manager will oversee and manage all work related to
achieving high data quality for speech projects in target languages/locales.
The candidate will manage a team of Speech Data Evaluators and work on
analyzing textnorm performance, overseeing lexicon/phoneset, basic text
decoding, and QA studio recordings.
- Create verbalisation rules, such as expanding URLs, email addresses,
- Provide expertise on pronunciations to help the experts with their phoneset
and phonotactics work;
- Create pronunciations for new lexicon entries after familiarizing themselves
with a proprietary phoneme set and transcription standards;
- Perform basic text normalization task on a huge amount of text data;
- Work with QA tools according to given guidelines.
- Keen ear for phonetic nuances;
- Previous experience in managing external resources;
- Ability to quickly grasp technical concepts;
- Proficiency with key project management and tracking tools;
- Excellent oral and written communicator;
- Proficiency with HTML, Python, and experience building internal tools a
- Advanced degree in Linguistics, Computational Linguistics preferred.
In addition, the candidate should be:
- Able to work full time;
- A native speaker of U.S. Spanish and fluent in English (for the U.S.
- A native speaker of U.S. English (for the U.S. English role).
The candidate works on-site at local LA office.
Project duration: 6-9 months (with potential for extension).
Please email your CV and cover letter with either "U.S. English Speech
Linguistic Project Manager" or "U.S. Spanish Speech Linguistic Project
Manager" in the subject line.
Application Deadline: 22-Jun-2012
Email Address for Applications: DataOpsMangmail.com
Read more issues|LINGUIST home page|Top of issue
Page Updated: 01-Jun-2012
While the LINGUIST List makes every effort to ensure the linguistic relevance of sites listed
on its pages, it cannot vouch for their contents.