* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
LINGUIST List logo Eastern Michigan University Wayne State University *
* People & Organizations * Jobs * Calls & Conferences * Publications * Language Resources * Text & Computer Tools * Teaching & Learning * Mailing Lists * Search *
* *


LINGUIST List 23.3528

Thu Aug 23 2012

Calls: Language Documentation, Applied Ling, Socioling, General Ling, Typology/India

Editor for this issue: Alison Zaharee <alisonlinguistlist.org>

Date: 23-Aug-2012
From: Prof. Kavita Rastogi <krastogisify.com>
Subject: Endangered and Lesser Known Languages: Challenges and Responses
E-mail this message to a friend

Full Title: Endangered and Lesser Known Languages: Challenges and Responses
Short Title: ELKL 2012

Date: 11-Oct-2012 - 13-Oct-2012
Location: Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh, India
Contact Person: Prof. Kavita Rastogi
Meeting Email: < click here to access email >

Linguistic Field(s): Applied Linguistics; General Linguistics; Language Documentation; Sociolinguistics; Typology

Call Deadline: 15-Sep-2012

Meeting Description:

Every language is a repository for the culture and worldview of its speakers. Its grammar and lexicon store the shared experiences of past generations, and through this channel knowledge and beliefs of one generation are transmitted to the next. It confers a sense of identity upon its native speakers. At present there are at least 6000 living languages across the world. Of them, 330 languages have more than one million speakers each and there are about 51 languages with only one speaker each. David Crystal believes that only 4% languages in the world are spoken by 96% of the total world human population and incidentally, only 4% people speak the remaining 96% of the world languages. Gradually these 96% of the world languages spoken by only 4% people are shifting, decaying or dying out.

It must be understood that with the disappearance of any language minor or major / small or big not only the language is lost but also its cultural heritage and its worldview. By allowing languages to die out we are destroying what deserves to be preserved. Responses to this problem include local language maintenance and revival programmes, and language documentation. All over the world linguists are trying to save these languages by documenting them, describing their grammars, preparing dictionaries or working on their revitalization.

In our multilingual and pluricultural country, approximately 380 languages are spoken. It has world's fourth largest number of languages. Some patches of this vast linguistic expanse are from the group of 96% languages mentioned above and are yet unclassified and are witnessing gradual extinction. Many Indian Linguists are working on these lesser known and/or endangered languages.

Objectives of the Seminar:

Drawing on methods, materials and issues from the diverse linguistic experiences of the participants, the seminar hopes to address the following issues and concerns related to lesser known and/or lesser known language.

- Language documentation
- Typology
- Field linguistics
- Syntax
- Morphology
- Cognitive linguistics
- Language planning and language teaching
- Language identity, maintenance and language shift
- Corpus linguistics

Call for Papers:

Abstract Submission:

Abstracts for a 30-minute talk (20-minute presentation + 10-minute discussion) must be at most one page long (minimum margins: 2.5 cm or 1 inch; size of characters: at least 12 points; spacing: single). An optional second page is permitted for data, figures and references. Please submit your abstract in both .pdf and .doc formats to krastogisify.com. The abstract should start with the title of paper followed by the author's name, email address, affiliation and the abstract. If the abstract includes additional fonts, please attach them with your mail.

Important Dates:

Deadline for submission of abstracts: 15 September 2012
Notification of acceptance: 20 September 2012
Deadline for submission of full papers: 30 September 2012

Travel and Accommodation:

We will provide local accommodation and hospitality. We would appreciate if the participants can get themselves deputed by their institutions and arrange for their own travel.

Prof. Kavita Rastogi
Prof. K.Srikumar
Department of Linguistics
University of Lucknow
Lucknow



Read more issues|LINGUIST home page|Top of issue



Page Updated: 23-Aug-2012

Supported in part by the National Science Foundation       About LINGUIST    |   Contact Us       ILIT Logo
While the LINGUIST List makes every effort to ensure the linguistic relevance of sites listed on its pages, it cannot vouch for their contents.