LINGUIST List 23.897|
Wed Feb 22 2012
Calls: Sociolinguistics, Language Acquisition/Netherlands
Editor for this issue: Alison Zaharee
LINGUIST is pleased to announce the launch of an exciting new feature: Easy Abstracts! Easy Abs is a free abstract submission and review facility designed to help conference organizers and reviewers accept and process abstracts online. Just go to: http://www.linguistlist.org/confcustom, and begin your conference customization process today! With Easy Abstracts, submission and review will be as easy as 1-2-3!
1. Hans Van de Velde ,
Urban Language Seminar 10
Message 1: Urban Language Seminar 10
From: Hans Van de Velde <h.vandeveldeuu.nl>
Subject: Urban Language Seminar 10
E-mail this message to a friend
Full Title: Urban Language Seminar 10
Short Title: ULS10
Date: 17-Aug-2012 - 19-Aug-2012
Location: Utrecht, Netherlands
Contact Person: Hans Van de Velde
Meeting Email: < click here to access email >
Web Site: http://www.iias.nl/ilci
Linguistic Field(s): Language Acquisition; Sociolinguistics
Call Deadline: 01-Apr-2012
The Urban Language Seminars are yearly symposia organized by the network on Industrialization, Language Contact and Identity Formation in China and Europe (ILCI). The 10th edition will take place in Utrecht (The Netherlands). The central theme of the workshop, managing linguistic diversities, will be approached from three perspectives:
(1) Society: language planning, regional distribution of languages and language varieties, and their use in (early) educational settings
(2) (Urban) speech community: language variation and change in large urban centers, group vs. individual identity, and language choice patterns
(3) Individual: study of 1st and 2nd language acquisition, acquisition of variation, identity formation
ULS10 will be a workshop with a limited number of participants (max. 50), and ample room for discussion. Accommodation will be at the conference venue and included in the registration fee. One of the purposes of ULS10 is to strengthen the ILCI network and stimulate research collaboration between European and Asian scholars. The organizers aim at a mixture of junior and senior scholars.
Benjamin Tsou (RCLIS, The Hong Kong Institute of Education)
Jens Normann Jørgensen & Marie Maegaard (LANCHART, University of Copenhagen)
Call for Papers:
The workshop will primarily focus on China and varieties of Chinese and on comparisons between Asia and Europe, but relevant papers focusing on other geographical areas and language varieties are welcome too, as long as they make an additional theoretical and/or methodological contribution.
Two Types of Presentations:
- Paper: a paper presentation reports completed and original work, proposes new methodologies and/or new theoretical insights.
- Posters: a poster may be a more suitable way to present research in progress or research plans. In the program, special attention will be paid to the discussion of the posters.
The organizers aim at publishing a selection of the papers presented at the seminar. More information will follow mid-April.
- Abstracts must be in English
- Max. 500 words, including references
- Indicate the preferred type of presentation
- Go to http://linguistlist.org/confcustom/ULS10 to submit your abstract
February 22, 2012: Call for papers
April 1, 2012: Abstract submission
April 16, 2012: Notification of acceptance + start registration
Junior scholars can combine ULS 10 with the Utrecht Summer School, see:
Hans Van de Velde (Utrecht University) (chair)
Martin Everaert (Utrecht University)
Marinus van den Berg (IIAS)
Xu Daming (Nanjing University)
Zhang Jingwei (Utreccht University)
Read more issues|LINGUIST home page|Top of issue
Page Updated: 22-Feb-2012
While the LINGUIST List makes every effort to ensure the linguistic relevance of sites listed
on its pages, it cannot vouch for their contents.