You've probably noticed that the LINGUIST site has undergone some cosmetic changes, and now hosts the epic story of LINGQUEST, our 2012 Fund Drive. As a non-profit organization, we rely on donations to continue our work for the linguistics community. To view more information on the purpose of our Fund Drive, as well as take this opportunity to donate, please visit the following links:
This year's Fund Drive features some familiar challenges as well as some new ones; here's a brief guide to the challenges and events for this year's Fund Drive:
1) The LINGQUEST Saga: This year, the scribes here at LINGUIST headquarters have penned a thrilling tale for the enjoyment of our subscribers. Every week, a new chapter of the story will be posted-- and you, our readers, will choose the path of the adventure! Each Friday, the valiant heroes of the Illocutionary Force will face off against a new threat to the linguistic world; each Friday, you'll be able to vote with your donations to determine the next chapter in their epic struggle. The first chapter of the LINGQUEST Saga arrives this Friday; visit
2) Subfield Challenge: This year, the Subfield Challenge will run for the duration of Fund Drive! Each time you donate, you'll have the option to choose a subfield affiliation. We'll track which fields have donated most, and keep you updated on who's winning over at the Battle of the Fields page
Last year, Sociolinguistics took the top slot, with Language Acquisition/ Psycholinguistics in a close second-- who will emerge victorious in 2012? Donate now to fight for the honor of your subfield!
3) Graduate School Challenge: As in the Subfield Challenge, you have the option with each donation to represent the graduate school of your choice. We'll tally the institutions who have donated most, sorted by region, and keep you abreast of the progress on the Graduate Tournament page (http://linguistlist.org/fund-drive/2012/graduate-tournament.cfm). The winning school will receive a special prize in recognition of their valiant efforts. Donate now to secure your graduate school's place in the hall of champions!
4) Limerick Contest: Each year, LINGUIST readers write extraordinarily clever limericks on the topic of linguistics, Fund Drive, or LINGUIST List (see some masterpieces from years past at http://linguistlist.org/fund-drive/2012/limericks.cfm).
This year, limericks submitted by our readers will be posted every Friday, and will be open for voting until the following Friday. The winning limericks from each week will go on to the final round, and at the end of Fund Drive, our readers will vote for the final champion-- could there be a greater glory than to be Champion Limerick-Writer for the entire discipline of linguistics? Submit your entries to funddrivelinguistlist.org!
5) Premiums: This year, as in years past, we'll be sending our donors gifts to thank them for their support. This year's premiums, speaking modestly, are AMAZING. In addition to the satisfaction of knowing that your support helps keep the discipline's largest online resource free for everyone, your donations will earn you some very cool LINGUIST swag. Visit the Rewards for Valor page to see this year's thank-you gifts:
For all information on donating and pledging, including information on how to
donate by check, money order, or wire transfer, please visit:
The LINGUIST List is under the umbrella of Eastern Michigan University and as
such can receive donations through the EMU Foundation, which is a registered
501(c) Non Profit organization. Our Federal Tax number is 38-6005986. These
donations can be offset against your federal and sometimes your state tax return
(U.S. tax payers only). For more information visit the IRS Web-Site, or contact
your financial advisor.
Many companies also offer a gift matching program, such that they will match
any gift you make to a non-profit organization. Normally this entails your
contacting your human resources department and sending us a form that the
EMU Foundation fills in and returns to your employer. This is generally a simple
administrative procedure that doubles the value of your gift to LINGUIST, without
costing you an extra penny. Please take a moment to check if your company
operates such a program.