LINGUIST List 24.1055|
Thu Feb 28 2013
Jobs: Applied Ling; General Ling: Manager/Director, The City University of New York
Editor for this issue: Sarah Fox
From: Human Resources <hrapplicationsgc.cuny.edu>
Subject: Applied Linguistics; General Linguistics: Manager/Director, The City University of New York, New York, USA
E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: The City University of New York, Graduate Center
Department: The Office of the Provost and Senior Vice President
Job Location: NY, USA
Job Rank: Director; Manager
Specialty Areas: Applied Linguistics; General Linguistics
Director, Institute for Language Education in Transcultural Context (Academic Center Director)
Job ID: 6265
Department: The Office of the Provost & Senior VP
Compensation: Commensurate with Qualifications and Experience
Closing Date: March 23, 2013
Campus Specific Information:
The Graduate Center of The City University of New York, the doctorate-granting institution of CUNY, is seeking a Director for the Institute for Language Education in Transcultural Context (ILETC). ILETC was established in 2012 to supply the coordination, research, and advocacy necessary to deepen, broaden, and catalyze CUNY's significant strengths in world languages and cultures.
ILETC would accomplish this through a mandate to:
- Collect data on the teaching of languages other than English (LOTE) (e.g., on assessment, enrollment)
- Conduct research into the development of translingual and transcultural communication
- Produce and gather resources that will assist CUNY colleges as well as individuals and groups within the CUNY community in promoting development of translingual and transcultural competencies
- Diffuse best practices through workshops and guest speakers
- Identify strategic languages and campuses for the development of summer institutes, immersion, and/or coordinated programming sequences (including study abroad)
- Develop materials and programming in local less commonly taught languages (LCTLs), and reach out to local communities for students, mentors, tutors, instructors, and community-based learning activities
- Advocate for the development of content-driven and heritage speaker-oriented courses
- Coordinate, develop, and administer LOTE assessments
- Forge alliances with K-12 institutions such as lab and ECI schools
The Director will be the Chief Executive Officer of the institute and her/his specific duties include:
- Applying for external funding.
- Overseeing the research projects undertaken by the institute.
- Preparing and managing the budget.
- Assigning tasks and supervising administrative and research assistants.
- Preparing the institute's annual report.
- Planning collection and distribution of language-teaching resources.
- Assisting in the coordination of multi-college initiatives.
- Programming activities such as lecture series and workshops.
- Directs a specialized academic and/or research center.
- Designs, implements and monitors curriculum for programs sponsored by the Center
- Oversees the design and delivery of courses and workshops; assesses learning outcomes
- Develops and manages Center’s budget and operations
- Implements ongoing faculty and/or student development activities
- Plans, develops, and initiates strategies for generating resources and/or revenues
- May seek and acquire grant funding to further advance Center initiatives
- Manages professional and clerical staff
- Performs related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree and eight years' relevant experience required.
- Doctoral Degree in modern languages, linguistics, linguistic anthropology or related field strongly preferred
- Experience in grant writing and outreach to funding sources
- Experience developing and managing externally funded projects
- Experience in conducting mixed methods research
- Excellent management and interpersonal skills
How to Apply:
Please apply using the application URL below.
If you are unable to upload your application please e-mail Human Resources at the contact email address below. Make sure to indicate which position you are applying for and that you have submitted your application online.
Application Deadline: 23-Mar-2013
Email Address for Applications: hrapplicationsgc.cuny.edu
Web Address for Applications: https://home.cunyfirst.cuny.edu/psp/cnyepprd/GUEST/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_CE.GBL?Page=HRS_CE_JOB_DTL&Action=A&JobOpeningId=6265&SiteId=1&PostingSeq=1
Read more issues|LINGUIST home page|Top of issue
Page Updated: 28-Feb-2013
While the LINGUIST List makes every effort to ensure the linguistic relevance of sites listed
on its pages, it cannot vouch for their contents.